How to categorize text strings based on keywords in Excel?
Supposing, I have a list of text strings in Column A, now, I want to categorize the text strings in Column A based on the keyword in Column D. For example, to categorize all cells which contain Kutools to Extendoffice, assign the cells contain football, basketball to Sport, and so on as following screenshot shown. How could I finish this complicated job quickly and easily in Excel?
Layoff season is coming, still work slowly?
-- Office Tab boosts your pace, saves 50% work time!
- Amazing! The operation of multiple documents is even more relaxing and convenient than single document;
- Compared with other web browsers, the interface of Office Tab is more powerful and aesthetic;
- Reduce thousands of tedious mouse clicks, say goodbye to cervical spondylosis and mouse hand;
- Be chosen by 90,000 elites and 300+ well-known companies!
To categorize the text strings based on some keywords, you can apply the below array formula:
1. First, you should categorize the data as you need. For example, I will categorize the data as below screenshot shown:
2. Please enter or copy the following formula into a blank cell:
3. And then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys together, and you will get the first result, then, drag the fill handle down to the cells that you want to apply this formula, and all text strings have been categorized as the specific group as you need. See screenshot:
More relative text category articles:
- Categorize Data Based On Values In Excel
- Supposing, you need to categorize a list of data based on values, such as, if data is greater than 90, it will be categorized as High, if is greater than 60 and less than 90, it will be categorized as Medium, if is less than 60, categorized as Low, how could you solve this task in Excel?
- Assign A Value Or Category Based On A Number Range
- This article is talking about assigning value or category related to a specified range in Excel. For example, if the given number is between 0 and 100, then assign value 5, if between 101 and 500, assign 10, and for range 501 to 1000, assign 15. Method in this article can help you get through it.
- Calculate Or Assign Letter Grade In Excel
- To assign letter grade for each student based on their scores may be a common task for a teacher. For example, I have a grading scale defined where the score 0-59 = F, 60-69 = D, 70-79 = C, 80-89 = B, and 90-100 = A as following screenshot shown. In Excel, how could you calculate letter grade based on the numeric score quickly and easily?
- Assign Serial Number To Duplicate Or Unique Values
- If you have a list of values which contains some duplicates, is it possible for us to assign sequential number to the duplicate or unique values? It means giving a sequential order for the duplicate values or unique values. This article, I will talk about some simple formulas to help you solving this task in Excel.