Easily extract the nth word from a text string in Excel
Kutools for Excel
Normally, you can apply formula or VBA code to extract the nth word from a text string in Excel. Here introduce a high productivity tool - the Extract the nth word in cell utility of Kutools for Excel. This feature can help you easily extract the nth word from a text string in a cell with only several clicks.
As the below screenshot shown, supposing you want to extract a word at a specified position (the specified positions are placed in column D) from each cell in Column B, please do as follows.
1. Select a blank cell to place the result. In this case, I select E3.
2. Go to the Kutools tab, click Formula Helper > Formula Helper.
Tip: you can also click Kutools > Formula Helper > Text > Extract the nth word in cell to enable this feature.
3. In the Formulas Helper dialog box, please configure as follows.
- Find and select Extract the nth word in cell in the Choose a formula box;
Tip: you can check the Filter box, type in certain words to filter the formula names.
- In the Cell box, select the cell in which you want to extract the nth word;
- In the Nth box, select the cell containing the number that represents the nth word to be extracted;
Tip: You can directly enter a number into this box. For example, if you want to extract the third word, please enter number 3.
- Click OK. See screenshot:
Tips: You can enter the number directly into the The Nth box as the below screenshot shown.
4. Now the first result is populated into the selected cell. Select this result cell, and then drag its Fill Handle all the way down to extract other words based on specified word positions.
Note: If you like this Formula Helper, you can click the Share icon in the Formulas Helper dialog to share it with your friend via email or share to social medias such as Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin and Weibo.
The following tools can greatly save your time and money, which one is right for you?
Office Tab: Using handy tabs in your Office, as the way of Chrome, Firefox and New Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: More than 300 Advanced Functions for Excel 2021, 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 and Office 365.
The functionality described above is just one of 300 powerful functions of Kutools for Excel.
Designed for Excel(Office) 2021, 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 and Office 365. Free download and use for 60 days.