Quickly list all files and sub-directories of a folder or directory in Excel
Kutools for Excel
Many people may wonder why there is no direct way to get and create a list of files of a specific folder or directory in Excel. But with the Kutools for Excel’s Filename List utility, all files and sub-directories of a specific folder or directory will be listed with the file attributes in Excel.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
Click Kutools Plus > Import & Export > Filename List. See screenshot:
1. Open the workbook that you want to create a list of files from a specific folder in a new worksheet, and then apply the Filename List utility by clicking Kutools Plus > Import & Export > Filename List.
2. In the Filename List dialog box, do the following operations:
(1.) Click button to select the directory which you want to list the files;
(2.) If you need to list the files in subfolders or list hidden files, please check Include files in subdirectories or Include hidden files and folders option.
(3.) Specify the file type that you want to list under the Files type section;
(4.) Select one file size unit you want to display from the File size unit section.
(5.) Checking Create hyperlinks option will create hyperlink for each listed file.
3. After finishing the above settings, click Ok to create the list. All of the files contained in the folder have been displayed with some attributes in a new worksheet. See screenshot:
Tip: The list will contain other attributes, such as file size, file type, created date and so on.
The following tools can greatly save your time and money, which one is right for you?
Office Tab: Using handy tabs in your Office, as the way of Chrome, Firefox and New Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: More than 300 Advanced Functions for Excel 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 and Office 365.
Classic Menu for Office: Bring back familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019 and 365, as if it were Office 2000 and 2003.
The functionality described above is just one of 300 powerful functions of Kutools for Excel.
Designed for Excel(Office) 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 and Office 365. Free download and use for 60 days.
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 8 months agoI'm giving a try to Kutools for excel, in specific the Filename List feature but for some reason it only brings 30,000 entries of a folder/subfolders structure with almost 300,000 files. Is there any limitation?
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 10 months agoYesterday I was a bit disillusioned over this, I set Kutools running at about 9.30, asking it to create a list of file data for Access databases on a network drive. Excel immediately appeared to crash. Hours later, a pop up opened with a progress bar (0%). Windows kept reporting that Excel wasn't responding. By the time I left for the day, the progress bar had moved to 1%. However when I arrived at 9.00 today, the process was complete.
Two comments I hope will be useful to the developers:
1. This process took 24 hours to complete. A warning that that may be possible would be useful.
2. The resulting spreadsheet did not contain any personal data - no 'last user', no 'creator'. Apart from the list of 9,095 Access databases, I also needed the people to go with those data so I could contact them. Is it possible to add this function, or, if it already exists, tell me how?
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoI am tried . It does import file names however it keeps files names with digit in top and drags with alphabet bottom ?? How can we keep same sequence as in folder?? Thanks
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agohow can I get list of folder names only
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoI am trying to list the files off of my Samsung phone, connected as an external drive, however, it is grayed out for all files on my phone. Will it not work this way? I seem to remember using my external hard drive and doing the same thing. Thanks. Still learning about your product, but it is definitely a time saver.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoHi, The tool is just awesome.
In my Scope, I am Extracting the Video/Audio file names,
I would like to know if file duration can be extracted too.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agohi
how can i get only folder lis
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 6 years agoI have experiencing the same issue as Gary P. The app will not list files in folders with more than 10,000 files, even if I specify a file type
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 6 years ago[quote name="Eleanor H"]I have experiencing the same issue as Gary P. The app will not list files in folders with more than 10,000 files, even if I specify a file type[/quote]
We will enhance it soon. :-)
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoHas this issue been addressed in the recent versions....I am using v16.5 and it does not list anything above 32766 files...tried couple of times but still stops at the same level
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 6 years agoThis is a cool tool but it won't list files in folders with more than 10,000 files. I have multiple folders with 100,000 PDF files I'm trying to use this tool for. Any way to change the limit?