When we deal with huge data in Excel, we may want to pick out some specific data and highlight them, such as change their background color. This article is talking about how to change the background color based on cell values in Excel quickly.
Select and change background color based on cell value:
Kutools for Excel’s Select Specific Cells feature can help you find and select the specific cells, and then you can do some formatting for the selected cells you need.
Kutools for Excel: with more than 200 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days. Download and free trial Now!
Supposing you have a range of data, and now you need to color the values between 80 and 100, as the following screenshot shown, how could you change background color based on cell value?
Excel's Conditional Formatting command can change background color for specific cells based on their values with following steps:
1. Select the range that you will work with, then click the Home > Conditional Formatting > New Rule….
2. In the New Formatting Rule dialog box, select and highlight the Format only cells that contain item in the Select a Rule Type: box, and in the Format Only Cells with section, specify the conditions that you need.
3. Click the Format button, in the Format Cells dialog box, set the background color under Fill tab.
4. Click OK > OK to close the dialogs. Then the specific cells with value between 80 and 100 are filled with the new background color in the selection. See screenshot:
Note: The Conditional Formatting is a dynamic feature, the cell color will be changed as the data changes.
Except the Conditional Formatting, here, we bring you another easy way: Kutools for Excel's Select Specific Cells tool, which can help you select the specific cells firstly, and fill them later.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 120 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
After Installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Select the range that you will work with, and click the Kutools > Select > Select Specific Cells….
2. In the Select Specific Cells dialog box, check the Cell option; specify the filter condition from Specific type, and then click OK button. See the following screenshot:
3. Then cells containing values between 80 and 100 are selected in the selection. Go on to click the Fill button under Home tab to change their background color. See screenshot:
This Select Specific Cells utility also can help you to select and color the specific text or value as you need. Please do as follows:
1. Select the data range that you want to color the specific cells.
2. Then apply this Select Specific Cells feature, in the popped out dialog box, click Cell under the Selection type, and choose Equals from the Specific type drop down list, then enter the specific text or value that you want to select. See screenshot:
3. Then click Ok button, and the specific values in the selection have been selected, and then specify a color under the Fill Color button to shade the cells you need, see screenshot:
Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
200 New Features for Excel, Make Excel Much Easy and Powerful: