How to copy formula without changing its cell references in Excel?
Normally Excel adjusts the cell references if you copy your formulas to another location in your worksheet. You would have to fix all cell references with a dollar sign ($) or press F4 key to toggle the relative to absolute references to prevent adjusting the cell references in formula automatically. If you have a range of formulas need to be copied, these methods will be very tedious and time-consuming. If you want to copy the formulas without changing cell references quickly and easily, try the following methods:
Recommended Productivity SoftwareOffice Tab: Use tabbed interface in Office as the use of web browser Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: Adds 120 powerful new features to Excel. Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Save two hours every day!
Classic Menu for Office: Brings back your familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010 and 2013 (includes Office 365).
In Excel, you can copy formula without changing its cell references with Replace function as following steps:
1. Highlight the range that you want to copy;
2. Click Home > Find & Select > Replace…, or press shortcuts CTRL+H, and a Find & Select dialog box will display.
3. Click Replace button, in the Find what box input “=”, and in the Replace with box input “#” or any other signs that different with your formulas. Basically, this will stop the references from being references. For example, “=A1*B1” becomes “#A1*B1”, and you can move it around without excel automatically changing its cell references in current worksheet.
4. Then click Replace All, it will replace all “=” with “#” in the range. And close the dialog box. The formulas in the range will be changed as following screenshots.
5. Copy and paste the formulas to the location that you want of the current worksheet.
6. Select the both changed ranges, and then reverse the step 4. Click Home> Find & Select >Replace… or press shortcuts CTRL+H, but this time enter “#” in the Find what box, and “=” in the Replace with box, and click Replace All. Then the formulas have been copied and pasted into another location without changing the cell references. See screenshot:
Is there an easier way to copy formula without changing its cell references this quickly and comfortably? Kutools for Excel can help you copy formulas without changing its cell references quickly.
Kutools for excel: with more than 120 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days. Get it Now.
After installing Kutools for Excel, click Kutools > Exact copy.
1. In the Exact Formula Copy dialog box, click button to select the range that you want to copy, and click OK.
Tips: Copy formatting option will keep all cells formatting after pasting the range, if the option has been checked.
2. Then select a single cell to start pasting the range.
3. Click OK to finish it. And the formulas have been pasted into the specified cells without changing the cell references.
For more detailed information about Exact Formula Copy, please visit here.
Is your problem solved?
Recommended Productivity Tools
Office Tab: Using handy tabs in your Office, as the way of Chrome, Firefox and New Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: 120 powerful new functions for Excel, Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Save two hours every day!
Classic Menu for Office: Bring back familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010, 2013 and 365, as if it were Office 2000 and 2003.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
More than 120 powerful advanced functions which designed for Excel:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...