How to quickly swap contents of two cells in Excel?
When we are handling a worksheet, we may need to swap the contents of two cells sometimes. Normally most of us just know “to cut, paste and copy” for swapping the contents, but it’s time-consuming. We are going to talk about how to quickly swap contents in cells in Excel.
Classic Menu for Office: Bring Back Old Look to Office 2010 and 2013 (includes Office 365).
Office Tab: Bring Tabbed Editing and Browsing Features to Office, Just Like Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 8/9/10.
Sometimes, there are two adjoining cells need to be swapped. We can manually do it easily. Look at the following screenshot, I want to swap cell A4 and B4, please do as follows:
1. Select the cell you want to swap. In this example, select cell A4.
2. Press Shift key, and put the cursor at the right border.
3. Then drag the cursor to the right border of cell B4.
4. When there displays “工”, release the mouse.
5. And the two cell contents have been swapped. See screenshot:
With this method, we can also swap two adjoining rows or columns.
When the two cells are nonadjacent, the above method will not work. We can swap them with VBA code.
1. Press the Ctrl key and select the two nonadjacent cells you want to swap.
2. Click Developer>Visual Basic, a new Microsoft Visual Basic for applications window will be displayed, click Insert>Module, and input the following code into the Module:
Sub SwapTwoRange() 'Updateby20131120 Dim Rng1 As Range, Rng2 As Range Dim arr1 As Variant, arr2 As Variant xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set Rng1 = Application.Selection Set Rng1 = Application.InputBox("Range1:", xTitleId, Rng1.Address, Type:=8) Set Rng2 = Application.InputBox("Range2:", xTitleId, Type:=8) Application.ScreenUpdating = False arr1 = Rng1.Value arr2 = Rng2.Value Rng1.Value = arr2 Rng2.Value = arr1 Application.ScreenUpdating = True End Sub
3. Then click button to run the code, then a dialog is displayed for you to select the two cells you want to swap between. See screenshots:
4. Click Ok in the popped-up dialog, the two selected cells are swapped. See screenshots:
Notes: This VBA code can’t swap the formatting of the two cells.
With Kutools for Excel, we not only can swap two adjoining cells, rows or columns, but also can switch two nonadjacent cells, rows or columns.
After installing Kutools for Excel, you can do as the following steps:
1. Click Kutools > Range Converter > Swap Ranges, see screenshot:
2. In the Swap Ranges dialog box,click the first button from Swap Range 1 to select the cell that you like to swap, and then click the second button from Swap Range 2 to select the cell is swapped with. See screenshot:
3. Then click OK, and the two ranges have been swapped. See screenshots:
If you want to know more about this feature, please visit Swap Ranges.