How to change or convert number to text in Excel?
Sometimes you may not want the numbers in the cells getting involved in calculating, or you may want to display leading zeros in numbers in cells. For doing so, you may need to change a number into text. The following methods can convert numbers in cells to text in Excel.
Recommended Productivity SoftwareOffice Tab: Use tabbed interface in Office as the use of web browser Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: Adds 120 powerful new features to Excel. Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Save two hours every day!
Classic Menu for Office: Brings back your familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010 and 2013 (includes Office 365).
Supposing there are some numbers in cells as following screenshot shows. How do you convert these numbers to text?
If you are familiar with Microsoft Excel's formulas, you can convert numbers in cells to text with Text function.
If you just only want to convert the number to text without any formatting, you can use the formula: = Text (A1, “0”);
1. In cell E1, please enter the formula = Text (A1, “0”).
2. Then press Enter key. And select the cell E1, drag the fill handle over the range of cells that you want to apply this formula.
3. As the data is formula, you can change the formulas to values. Copy the cells and right-click where you want to paste the values and select Paste special. Select values and your values will be displayed as text as below.
If you want to display the leading zero in numbers, you can use this formula: =Text (A1, “0000”); such as convert 23 to 0023.
As the above steps, if you apply this formula, you will get the following result:
And if you want to convert the numbers to text which keep several decimal digits, you can use this formula: =Text (A1, “0.000”). Such as convert 23 to 23.000.
Also with above steps, if you apply this formula, you will get the result as the following screenshots:
Note: you can define the text style. For example, if you want to convert the numbers to text with a telephone number format, you can replace the "000" with "00-00000", or others.
Microsoft Excel's Format Cells command is also able to convert numbers to text.
1. Select the numbers that you want to convert to text.
2. Right click the selected range, and choose the Format Cells item from context menu. See screenshot:
3. In the Format Cells dialog box, select the Text item in the Category box under Number tab, and then click the OK button. See screenshot:
Then numbers in selected range are converted into text.
If you have Kutools for Excel installed, it will be easier for you to convert numbers in cells to text with Convert between Text and Number.
1. Select the range with numbers that you want to change to text.
2. Click Kutools > Content > Convert between Text and Number. See screenshot:
3. In the Convert between Text and Number dialog box, check the Number to text option, and then click the OK or Apply button. See screenshot:
Now all numbers in selected range are converted to text in the original range. See screenshots:
Kutools for Excel's Convert between Text and Number tool can quickly specify a range cells or a cell in your worksheet to recognize the numbers you enter as numeric data. And it can help you convert between the numbers and numbers stored as text in cells quickly.
Click here to know more about this feature.
Is your problem solved?
Recommended Productivity Tools
Office Tab: Using handy tabs in your Office, as the way of Chrome, Firefox and New Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: 120 powerful new functions for Excel, Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Save two hours every day!
Classic Menu for Office: Bring back familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010, 2013 and 365, as if it were Office 2000 and 2003.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
More than 120 powerful advanced functions which designed for Excel:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...