How to set cell size in cm (centimeters) in Excel?
On a worksheet, the default units for the row height and column width are preset, and the default column width is 8.38 characters and the default row height is 12.75 points. And in Excel, it is difficult for you to set the row height or column width in inches or centimeters. But, sometimes you need to change the height and width to centimeters for some purpose. How could you solve this problem?
Recommended Productivity SoftwareOffice Tab: Use tabbed interface in Office as the use of web browser Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: Adds 120 powerful new features to Excel. Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Save two hours every day!
Classic Menu for Office: Brings back your familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010 and 2013 (includes Office 365).
You can’t set the height and width in centimeters with Excel’s functions, except for using VBA code. The below two codes can help you to set column width and row height. Do as follows:
1. Select the cells that you want to set them in centimeters.
2. Click Developer > Visual Basic, a new Microsoft Visual Basic for applications window will be displayed, click Insert > Module, and input the following code into the Module:
Code for setting row height in centimeters:
Sub RowHeightInCentimeters() Dim cm As Single cm = Application.InputBox("Enter Row Height in Centimeters", _ "Row Height (cm)", Type:=1) If cm Then Selection.RowHeight = Application.CentimetersToPoints(cm) End If End Sub
3. Then click button to execute the code. And a prompt box will pop out to tell you to enter a number of row height. See screenshot:
Note: the number you enter must be less than 15. And this VBA code won't change row height if you enter 0 in this dialog box.
4. Click OK. And the row height of the selected cells have been set with 2 centimeters. See screenshot:
If you want to set the column width in centimeters as well, you can input the following code:
Code for setting column width in centimeters:
Sub ColumnWidthInCentimeters() Dim cm As Single, points As Integer, savewidth As Integer Dim lowerwidth As Integer, upwidth As Integer, curwidth As Integer Dim Count As Integer Application.ScreenUpdating = False cm = Application.InputBox("Enter Column Width in Centimeters", _ "Column Width (cm)", Type:=1) If cm = False Then Exit Sub points = Application.CentimetersToPoints(cm) savewidth = ActiveCell.ColumnWidth ActiveCell.ColumnWidth = 255 If points > ActiveCell.Width Then MsgBox "Width of " & cm & " is too large." & Chr(10) & _ "The maximum value is " & _ Format(ActiveCell.Width / 28.3464566929134, _ "0.00"), vbOKOnly + vbExclamation, "Width Error" ActiveCell.ColumnWidth = savewidth Exit Sub End If lowerwidth = 0 upwidth = 255 ActiveCell.ColumnWidth = 127.5 curwidth = ActiveCell.ColumnWidth Count = 0 While (ActiveCell.Width <> points) And (Count < 20) If ActiveCell.Width < points Then lowerwidth = curwidth Selection.ColumnWidth = (curwidth + upwidth) / 2 Else upwidth = curwidth Selection.ColumnWidth = (curwidth + lowerwidth) / 2 End If curwidth = ActiveCell.ColumnWidth Count = Count + 1 Wend End Sub
With the above codes, you can only set cell size in centimeters, today, I will introduce you a multifunctional tool, Kutools for Excel which not only can set cell size in centimeters but also in inches, pound and pixels.
After installing Kutools for Excel, you can quickly set row height and column width with the following steps:
1.Highlight the cells that you want to set them in centimeters.
2. Click Kutools > Format > Adjust Cell Size, see screenshot:
3. In the Adjust Cell Size dialog box, choose the Unit type you need and specify the Row height and Column width from Set values section. See screenshot:
4. Then click OK or Apply. You will get cells with 2 cm row height and 3cm column width.
Is your problem solved?
Recommended Productivity Tools
Office Tab: Using handy tabs in your Office, as the way of Chrome, Firefox and New Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: 120 powerful new functions for Excel, Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Save two hours every day!
Classic Menu for Office: Bring back familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010, 2013 and 365, as if it were Office 2000 and 2003.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
More than 120 powerful advanced functions which designed for Excel:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...