How to set cell size in cm (centimeters) in Excel?
On a worksheet, the default units for the row height and column width are preset, and the default column width is 8.38 characters and the default row height is 12.75 points. And in Excel, it is difficult for you to set the row height or column width in inches or centimeters. But, sometimes you need to change the height and width to centimeters for some purpose. How could you solve this problem?
Classic Menu for Office: Bring Back Old Look to Office 2010 and 2013 (includes Office 365).
Office Tab: Bring Tabbed Editing and Browsing Features to Office, Just Like Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 8/9/10.
You can’t set the height and width in centimeters with Excel’s functions, except for using VBA code. The below two codes can help you to set column width and row height. Do as follows:
1. Select the cells that you want to set them in centimeters.
2. Click Developer > Visual Basic, a new Microsoft Visual Basic for applications window will be displayed, click Insert > Module, and input the following code into the Module:
Code for setting row height in centimeters:
Dim cm As Single
cm = Application.InputBox("Enter Row Height in Centimeters", _
"Row Height (cm)", Type:=1)
If cm Then
Selection.RowHeight = Application.CentimetersToPoints(cm)
3. Then click button to execute the code. And a prompt box will pop out to tell you to enter a number of row height. See screenshot:
Note: the number you enter must be less than 15. And this VBA code won't change row height if you enter 0 in this dialog box.
4. Click OK. And the row height of the selected cells have been set with 2 centimeters. See screenshot:
If you want to set the column width in centimeters as well, you can input the following code:
Code for setting column width in centimeters:
Dim cm As Single, points As Integer, savewidth As Integer
Dim lowerwidth As Integer, upwidth As Integer, curwidth As Integer
Dim Count As Integer
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
cm = Application.InputBox("Enter Column Width in Centimeters", _
"Column Width (cm)", Type:=1)
If cm = False Then Exit Sub
points = Application.CentimetersToPoints(cm)
savewidth = ActiveCell.ColumnWidth
ActiveCell.ColumnWidth = 255
If points > ActiveCell.Width Then
MsgBox "Width of " & cm & " is too large." & Chr(10) & _
"The maximum value is " & _
Format(ActiveCell.Width / 28.3464566929134, _
"0.00"), vbOKOnly + vbExclamation, "Width Error"
ActiveCell.ColumnWidth = savewidth
lowerwidth = 0
upwidth = 255
ActiveCell.ColumnWidth = 127.5
curwidth = ActiveCell.ColumnWidth
Count = 0
While (ActiveCell.Width <> points) And (Count < 20)
If ActiveCell.Width < points Then
lowerwidth = curwidth
Selection.ColumnWidth = (curwidth + upwidth) / 2
upwidth = curwidth
Selection.ColumnWidth = (curwidth + lowerwidth) / 2
curwidth = ActiveCell.ColumnWidth
Count = Count + 1
With the above codes, you can only set cell size in centimeters, today, I will introduce you a multifunctional tool, Kutools for Excel which not only can set cell size in centimeters but also in inches, pound and pixels.
After installing Kutools for Excel, you can quickly set row height and column width with the following steps:
1.Highlight the cells that you want to set them in centimeters.
2. Click Kutools > Range Converter > Adjust Cell Size, see screenshot:
3. In the Adjust Cell Size dialog box, choose the Unit type you need and specify the Row height and Column width from Set values. See screenshot:
4. Then click OK or Apply. You will get cells with 2 cm row height and 3cm column width.
With this function, you can also set cell size in pound, inches and pixels. Click to know more about this feature.