How to convert date to weekday name or month name in Excel?
Says you enter a date in one cell, and it shows as 2012/12/21. Is there a way to show only the month or the weekday, or the text of month name or weekday name, such as December, Friday? The following methods can help you easily convert or format any kinds of date to display only the weekday name or month name in Microsoft Excel.
Classic Menu for Office: brings back classic menus to Office 2010 and 2013 (includes Office 365).
Office Tab: brings tabbed interface to Office as the use of web browser Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer.
Microsoft Excel's Text function can help you to convert date to its corresponding month name or weekday name easily.
1. In a blank cell, please enter this formula =TEXT(A1,"mmmm"), in this case in cell C1. See screenshot:
2. Press Enter key, and select the cell C1. Then drag the fill handle across to the range that you want to apply this formula. And the date have been converted to month name. See screenshot:
As they are formulas, you need to copy and paste them as values.
You can also convert a date to the weekday name with the formula =TEXT(A1,"dddd").
The Text function is easy to deal with a few date, and it will be time-consuming if many ones. The Kutools for Excel's Apply Date Formatting tool can help you convert all date in selections to the month name or weekday name easily.
Kutools for Excel includes more than 120 handy Excel tools. Free to try with no limitation in 30 days. Get it Now.
1. Select the range that you will work with.
2. Click Kutools > Format Tools > Apply Date Formatting…, see screenshot:
3. In the Apply Date formatting:
If you want to convert the date to month name, you can select 03, Mar or March item in the left box.
If you want to convert the date to weekday name, you can select Wed or Wednesday item in the left box.
4. Then click OK or Apply, all of the date have been changed to the date format that you want.
Note: The Apply Date Formatting tool does not change the actual value.
- Change American date format
- Change multiple dates to day of week
- Remove time from date
- Remove year from date