How to convert date to weekday name or month name in Excel?
Says you enter a date in one cell, and it shows as 2012/12/21. Is there a way to show only the month or the weekday, or the text of month name or weekday name, such as December, Friday? The following methods can help you easily convert or format any kinds of date to display only the weekday name or month name in Microsoft Excel.
Normally the date will be inserted as “8/11/2015”, but we require to show the date as “Tuesday” or “August”. Kutools for Excel’s Insert Date can help us insert a date with specific date formatting by only click.
Recommended Productivity SoftwareOffice Tab: Use tabbed interface in Office as the use of web browser Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: Adds 120 powerful new features to Excel. Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Save two hours every day!
Classic Menu for Office: Brings back your familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010 and 2013 (includes Office 365).
We can customized the date formatting and display dates as weekday names or month names only easily in Excel.
1. Select the date cells that you will convert to weekday names or month names, right click and select the Format Cells from the right-clicking menu.
2. In the opening Format Cells dialog box, under Number tab click the Custom in the Category box, and then enter "ddd" into the Type box.
Note: The "ddd" will display date as weekday name such as "Sat". Take the date 2015-1-17 for example, the following table will show other custom date formatting:
|No.||Formatting code||Display as||Example|
3. Click the OK button to apply the custom date formatting.
Microsoft Excel's Text function can help you to convert date to its corresponding month name or weekday name easily.
1. In a blank cell, please enter this formula =TEXT(A1,"mmmm"), in this case in cell C1. See screenshot:
2. Press Enter key, and select the cell C1. Then drag the fill handle across to the range that you want to apply this formula. And the date have been converted to month name. See screenshot:
As they are formulas, you need to copy and paste them as values.
You can also convert a date to the weekday name with the formula =TEXT(A1,"dddd") .
The Text function is easy to deal with a few date, and it will be time- consuming if many ones. The Kutools for Excel's Apply Date Formatting tool can help you convert all date in selections to the month name or weekday name easily.
1. Select the range that you will work with.
2. Click Kutools > Format > Apply Date Formatting, see screenshot:
3. In the Apply Date formatting dialog box:
If you want to convert the date to month name, you can select 03, Mar or March items in the left box.
If you want to convert the date to weekday name, you can select Wed or Wednesday items in the left box.
4. Then click Ok or Apply, all of the date will be changed to the date format as you speicified.
Note: The Apply Date Formatting tool does not change the actual value.
- Change American date format
- Change multiple dates to day of week
- Remove time from date
- Remove year from date
Is your problem solved?
Recommended Productivity Tools
Office Tab: Using handy tabs in your Office, as the way of Chrome, Firefox and New Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: 120 powerful new functions for Excel, Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Save two hours every day!
Classic Menu for Office: Bring back familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010, 2013 and 365, as if it were Office 2000 and 2003.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
More than 120 powerful advanced functions which designed for Excel:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...