How to create new custom lists quickly in Excel?
Normally we can sort data or fill blank cell with custom list in Excel. However, there are only four kinds of built-in custom list: the day of week and the month of year. See the following list:
Built-in Custom List
- Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat
- Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday
- Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
- January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
Sometimes you may use some specific contents for many times in Excel, but without using the custom list you may have to reenter it over and over again. Actually, you can create a custom list of the same contents in Excel, and then you can quickly use the custom list at any time in Excel without retyping the same contents again.
You can do it with following steps:
Step 1: Click the File >> Options in Excel 2010. (Excel 2007)
Step 2: In the Excel Options dialog box, click Advanced button at left bar in Excel 2010.
Step 3: Scroll to the General section.
Step 4: Click the Edit Custom List button.
Step 5: Now you get into the Custom Lists dialog box. Select the NEW LIST item in the custom lists: box. And two ways to create new list:
- You can type the custom list of information in the List entries box manually.
- If the list of information exists in current workbook, you can click the browser button to select the list, and click Import button to copy it to the List entries box.
Step 6: Click Add button.
Step 7: Click OK to close the dialog box.
If you are using the Excel 2007, you can click the Office Button >> Excel Options >> Popular, and go to the Top options for working with Excel section, then you will get the Edit Custom Lists… button.