Wrap Text: insert carriage/hard return in cells in Excel
Supposing you enter a long sentence in one cell, such as Insert images and picture delete background images, it will overflow into other cells if the cells are blank, otherwise the long sentence will not be fully displayed. See the following screenshot.
Fig. 1: Long text overflowe into other cells
Fig.2: Long sentence is not full displayed
How to wrap text in cells so that it won't neither overflow to other cells nor display partially? You can follow these tricks to deal with it.
Recommended Productivity SoftwareOffice Tab: Use tabbed interface in Office as the use of web browser Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: Adds 120 powerful new features to Excel. Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Save two hours every day!
Classic Menu for Office: Brings back your familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010 and 2013 (includes Office 365).
Microsoft Excel's Wrap Text command can help you wrap long sentence and let full content showing in one cells completely.
Firstly of all select the cells that you want to wrap text in them;
Then click the Wrap Text in Alignment group under Home tab.
Following our example and it wraps the long sentence into two lines in the Cell A1. See the screen shot:
Please note that the Wrap Text command will wrap the long sentence automatically based on the cells' width.
Sometime you may want to wrap the long sentence manually at specific position. Now you need to add carriage return or hard return manually in cells.
- Step 1: Double clicking the cell you will work with, and get to edit it.
- Step 2: Put the cursor at the specific position that you want the long sentence wrapped.
- Step 3: Press the Alt key and Enter key together.
Then it wraps the long sentence at the specific position you choose at Step 2. See the following screen shot:
Is your problem solved?
Recommended Productivity Tools
Office Tab: Using handy tabs in your Office, as the way of Chrome, Firefox and New Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: 120 powerful new functions for Excel, Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Save two hours every day!
Classic Menu for Office: Bring back familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010, 2013 and 365, as if it were Office 2000 and 2003.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
More than 120 powerful advanced functions which designed for Excel:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...