How to wrap text by inserting carriage/hard return in cells in Excel?
Supposing you enter a long sentence in one cell, such as Insert images and picture delete background images, it will overflow into other cells if the cells are blank, otherwise the long sentence will not be fully displayed. See the right screenshots.
How to wrap text in cells so that it won't neither overflow to other cells nor display partially? You can follow these tricks to deal with it.
Wrap text in cells with Wrap Text command
Microsoft Excel's Wrap Text command can help you wrap long sentence and let full content showing in one cells completely.
Firstly of all select the cells that you want to wrap text in them;
Then click the Wrap Text in Alignment group under Home tab. Following our example and it wraps the long sentence into two lines in the Cell A1. See the screen shot:
Please note that the Wrap Text command will wrap the long sentence automatically based on the cells' width.
Wrap text with adding carriage or hard return in cells
Sometime you may want to wrap the long sentence manually at specific position. Now you need to add carriage return or hard return manually in cells.
Step 1: Double clicking the cell you will work with, and get to edit it.
Step 2: Put the cursor at the specific position that you want the long sentence wrapped.
Step 3: Press the Alt key and Enter key together.
Then it wraps the long sentence at the specific position you choose at Step 2. See the following screen shot:
Quickly split wrapped text of one cell into multiple cells/rows/columns in Excel
Kutools for Excel's Split Cells utility can help you quickly split one cell in which you wrap the content by hard return/carriage into multiple cells, multiple rows, or multiple columns with ease. Full Feature Free Trial 30-day!
Kutools for Excel - Includes more than 300 handy tools for Excel. Full feature free trial 30-day, no credit card required! Get It Now
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by 80%
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than 300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!