How to unmerge cells and fill with duplicate values in Excel?
If you have a worksheet which contains numerous merged cells, and now you need to unmerge them and auto-fill down the original values from the merged cells. See following screenshots:
How could you quickly deal with this task?
Recommended Productivity SoftwareOffice Tab: Use tabbed interface in Office as the use of web browser Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: Adds 120 powerful new features to Excel. Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Save two hours every day!
Classic Menu for Office: Brings back your familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010 and 2013 (includes Office 365).
With the Go To Special command, you can unmerge cells and fill down the values. But this method is somewhat troublesome, please do as following steps:
1. Select the columns that have merged cells.
2. Click Home > Merge & Center > Unmerge Cells. See screenshot:
3. And the merged cells have been unmerged and only the first cell will be filled with the original values. And then select the range again.
4. Then click Home > Find & Select > Go To Special. In the Go To Special dialog box, select Blanks option. See screenshot:
5. And then click OK, all of the blank cells in the range have been selected. Then input = and press Up arrow key. See screenshot:
6. Then press Ctrl + Enter keys, all of the blank cells have been filled with the original merged data. See screenshot:
With the following VBA code, you can quickly unmerge the cells and fill down the values.
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following macro in the Modulewindow.
Sub UnMergeSameCell() 'Upadateby20131127 Dim Rng As Range, xCell As Range xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set WorkRng = Application.Selection Set WorkRng = Application.InputBox("Range", xTitleId, WorkRng.Address, Type:=8) Application.ScreenUpdating = False Application.DisplayAlerts = False For Each Rng In WorkRng If Rng.MergeCells Then With Rng.MergeArea .UnMerge .Formula = Rng.Formula End With End If Next Application.DisplayAlerts = True Application.ScreenUpdating = True End Sub
3. Then press the F5 key to run this code, a dialog is displayed for selecting a range to work with, see screenshot:
4. Click OK, then the merged cells have been unmerged and auto-filled down the original merged values.
With the Unmerge Cell utility of Kutools for Excel, you can unmerge cells and fill with duplicate data with one click, this method is very simple and handy.
After installing Kutools for Excel, you can do as follows:
1. Select the columns that you want to unmerge and fill down the data.
2. Click Kutools > Range Converter > Unmerge Cell, see screenshot:
And the merged cells have been unmerged and filled with the duplicate values at once.
Is your problem solved?
Recommended Productivity Tools
Office Tab: Using handy tabs in your Office, as the way of Chrome, Firefox and New Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: 120 powerful new functions for Excel, Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Save two hours every day!
Classic Menu for Office: Bring back familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010, 2013 and 365, as if it were Office 2000 and 2003.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
More than 120 powerful advanced functions which designed for Excel:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...