Merge and Combine Columns without Losing Data in Excel
If you merge multiple columns of data in Excel (no matter which Excel version you are using), only the left column of data will be kept, and the data of other columns will be deleted, if you apply the "Merge and Center" command from Home tab on the Alignment panel. This tutorial is talking about how to merge or combine different columns of data into one column.
- Merge columns of data into one column with formula
- Quickly merge columns of data without losing data with Kutools for Excel
Hint: <<Merge Columns/Rows/Cells without Losing Data>> is just one of 120 powerful features of Kutools.
Classic Menu for Office: brings back classic menus to Office 2010 and 2013 (includes Office 365).
Office Tab: brings tabbed interface to Office as the use of web browser Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer.
Supposing you have columns of data and you need to combine the data into one column, as shown in the following screenshots, you can deal with it with some formulas:
Merge columns of data without spaces between the data: =A1&B1&C1&…
Merge columns of data with spaces between the data: =A1&" "&B1&" "&C1&…
1. In cell E1, please enter the formula “=A1&B1&C1” or “=A1&" "&B1&" "&C1”.
2. Then press Enter key and select the cell E1, drag the fill handle over the range of cells that you want to apply this formula.
3. And the columns of data have been merged into one column. As they are formulas, you need to copy and paste them as values when you want to paste them to other places. See screenshots:
You can use the third party add-in Kutools for Excel to quickly merge multiple columns.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please click Kutools > Combine. See screenshot:
1. Select the columns of data that you want to merge.
2. In the Combine Columns & Rows dialog box, specify the options that you need. See screenshot:
(1.)Select Based on row under Merge selected cells.
(2.)Specify a separator for the combined data.
(3.)Specify how you want to deal with the combined cells. You can keep or delete contents from those combined cells, and you can also merge those combined cells.
3. Then click OK to combine multiple columns into one column without losing data. You will get the following results:
|Keep contents of combined cells||Delete contents of combined cells||Merge the combined cells|