Merge and Combine Columns without Losing Data in Excel
If you merge multiple columns of data in Excel (no matter which Excel version you are using), only the left column of data will be kept, and the data of other columns will be deleted, if you apply the "Merge and Center" command from Home tab on the Alignment group. This tutorial is talking about how to merge or combine different columns of data into one column.
- Merge columns of data into one column with formula
- Quickly merge columns of data without losing data with Kutools for Excel
Hint: <<Merge Columns/Rows/Cells without Losing Data>> is just one of 120 powerful features of Kutools.
Recommended Productivity ToolsOffice Tab: Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: 200 new features for Excel, make Excel much easy and powerful, increase productivity immediately.
Supposing you have columns of data and you need to combine the data into one column, as shown in the following screenshots, you can deal with it with some formulas:
Merge columns of data without spaces between the data: =A1&B1&C1&…
Merge columns of data with spaces between the data: =A1&" "&B1&" "&C1&…
1. In cell E1, please enter the formula “=A1&B1&C1” or “=A1&" "&B1&" "&C1”.
2. Then press Enter key and select the cell E1, drag the fill handle over the range of cells that you want to apply this formula.
3. And the columns of data have been merged into one column. As they are formulas, you need to copy and paste them as values when you want to paste them to other places. See screenshots:
You can use the third party add-in Kutools for Excel to quickly merge multiple columns.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please click Kutools > Combine. See screenshot:
1. Select the columns of data that you want to merge.
2. In the Combine Columns or Rows dialog box, specify the options that you need. See screenshot:
(1.)Select Select Combine columns under To combine selected cells according to following options;
(2.)Specify a separator for the combined data, here I select Space;
(3.))Specify the cell you want to place your combined result;
(4.)Specify how you want to deal with the combined cells. You can keep or delete contents from those combined cells, and you can also merge those combined cells.
3. Then click OK to combine multiple columns into one column without losing data. You will get the following results:
|Keep contents of combined cells||Delete contents of combined cells||Merge the combined cells|
Recommended Productivity Tools
Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
200 New Features for Excel, Make Excel Much Easy and Powerful:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...