Merge and Combine Columns without Losing Data in Excel
If you merge multiple columns of data in Excel (no matter which Excel version you are using), only the left column of data will be kept, and the data of other columns will be deleted, if you apply the "Merge and Center" command from Home tab on the Alignment group. This tutorial is talking about how to merge or combine different columns of data into one column.
Recommended Productivity Tools
Merge columns of data into one column with formula
Supposing you have columns of data and you need to combine the data into one column, as shown in the following screenshots, you can deal with it with some formulas:
Merge columns of data without spaces between the data: =A1&B1&C1&…
Merge columns of data with spaces between the data: =A1&" "&B1&" "&C1&…
1. In cell E1, please enter the formula “=A1&B1&C1” or “=A1&" "&B1&" "&C1”.
2. Then press Enter key and select the cell E1, drag the fill handle over the range of cells that you want to apply this formula.
3. And the columns of data have been merged into one column. As they are formulas, you need to copy and paste them as values when you want to paste them to other places. See screenshots:
Quickly merge columns of data without losing data with Kutools for Excel
You can use the third party add-in Kutools for Excel to quickly merge multiple columns.
1. After installing Kutools for Excel, please select the columns of data that you want to merge, and then click Kutools > Combine. See screenshot:
2. In the Combine Columns or Rows dialog box, specify the options as follows.
(1.) Select Combine columns under To combine selected cells according to following options;
(2.) Specify a separator for the combined data, here I select the Space option;
(3.) Specify the cell you want to place your combined result;
(4.) Specify how you want to deal with the combined cells. You can keep or delete contents from those combined cells, and you can also merge those combined cells.See screenshot:
3. Then click OK to combine multiple columns into one column without losing data. You will get the following results:
Kutools for Excel includes more than 120 handy Excel tools. Free to try with no limitation in 60 days. Download the free trial now!
Recommended Productivity Tools
Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
200 New Features for Excel, Make Excel Much Easy and Powerful:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 7 months agoJUMP not just.....another great invention spell check that changes real words to different words. Man the next generation relying on these faulty technologies is going to be lost without a parachute.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 7 months agoI cannot believe Microsoft makes it so difficult to use Excel. Aren't computer programs suppose to make life easier not more difficult. I mean we are talking about a simple merge of columns yet Excel makes you just through hoops to accomplish something that should take one keystroke. It is a joke, and the joke is on us, the users. I despise Microsoft.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoIt was Perfecttttt, Thanks
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoIneed to convert a string of numbers (06191948) in a column to read 06/19/1948 can anyone help me?
- ← Previous
- Next →