How to show or hide formula bar in Excel?
To maximize workspace, we may hide Formula Bar in Excel. However, Formula Bar is necessary and helpful when we edit formulas in cells. Here are some tips to switch two screen settings in Excel: showing Formula Bar and hiding Formula Bar.
Recommended Productivity SoftwareOffice Tab: Use tabbed interface in Office as the use of web browser Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: Adds 120 powerful new features to Excel. Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Save two hours every day!
Classic Menu for Office: Brings back your familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010 and 2013 (includes Office 365).
|With formula bar|
|Without formula bar|
We can display or hide the Formula Bar under View tab in Excel Ribbon with Formula Bar option in the Show group.
If you want to show the Formula Bar, check the Formula Bar option; if you want to hide the Formula Bar, uncheck it.
You can also show or hide by checking the Formula Bar option in Excel Options with following steps:
1. Click the File tab in Excel 2010/2013, or Office button in Excel 2007.
2. Then click the Options button.
3. Now it displays the Excel Options dialog box, click the Advanced category at left pane.
4. Go to the Display section, check or uncheck the Show formula bar option.
5. Click OK button to save setting.
The following short VBA code also can help you show or hide the formula bar as you need.
1. Hold down the Alt + F11 keys in Excel, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Then click Insert > Module, and paste the following macro in the Module Window.
VBA for displaying formula bar in Microsoft Excel
Private Sub Workbook_Activate()
Application.DisplayFormulaBar = True
VBA for hiding formula bar in Microsoft Excel
Private Sub Workbook_Activate()
Application.DisplayFormulaBar = False
3. Press the F5 key to run this code. And you will get the result that you want.
Kutools for Excel’s View Options tool is designed to show or hide spreadsheet settings, such as Grid Lines, Page Break, etc. With it, we can easily display or hide the Formula Bar in Excel:
1. Click Kutools > Show / Hide > View Options, see screenshot:
2. In the View Options dialog box, check or uncheck the Formula Bar option under the Application Settings section. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok to apply the setting.(Note: If you want to apply this option to all the worksheets, please click Apply to all sheets.)
The View Options makes it possible to show or hide most of Microsoft Excel settings quickly, such as Inner Tabs, Formula Bar, Status Bar, Windows in Taskbar, Gridlines, Page Breaks, Display Zeros, Vertical Scrollbar, Horizontal Scrollbar, Sheet Tab, … etc. It will save your time in looking for these setting when you need to show or hide them. Click to know more about this feature.
- Display or hide row & column headers
- Display Selection Pane
- Display or hide status bar
- Display or hide sheet tabs
- Show or hide Horizontal/Vertical scroll bar
- Show or hide gridlines
- Hide page breaks
- Display or hide zero values in cells of Microsoft Excel
Is your problem solved?
Recommended Productivity Tools
Office Tab: Using handy tabs in your Office, as the way of Chrome, Firefox and New Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: 120 powerful new functions for Excel, Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Save two hours every day!
Classic Menu for Office: Bring back familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010, 2013 and 365, as if it were Office 2000 and 2003.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
More than 120 powerful advanced functions which designed for Excel:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...