How to view or group email messages by subjects in Outlook?
Messages are arranged by date initially in Microsoft Outlook. What if sorting or grouping all email messages by subjects, so that you can view all messages with same subjects at a glance? Here we will talk about how to sort, group and view all email messages by subjects in Microsoft Outlook.
Office Tab: Enable Tabbed Editing and Browsing in Office, Just Like Chrome, Firefox, IE 8/9/10.
Classic Menu: Bring Old Menus and Toolbars Back to Office 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 and 2019.
There are two tricks to sort and arrange email messages by subjects.
The first method will guide you to sort and arrange messages by subjects with changing the arrangement pattern in Ribbon or menus.
Step 1: Click to open a mail folder in the Navigation Pane, which you will sort messages by subject in.
Step 2: Change the arrangement pattern:
- In Outlook 2007, please click the View > Arranged by > Subjects.
- In Outlook 2010 and 2013, please click the Subject in the Arrangement group on the View tab. See the following screen shot:
There is an alternative trick to change the arrangement pattern in the mail list.
Firstly, click to open a mail folder in the Navigation Pane, where you will sort messages by subject.
Secondly, at the top of mail list and under the Search box, click the text of By Date, and then click the Subject in the drop down menu. See the following screen shot:
Note: Normally you will see the text of By Date (or Arrange By: Date) at the top of mail list and under the Search box, or other similar text depended on the arrangement patterns.
Then all email messages in the selected folder will be sorted and arranged by subjects immediately.
This section will show you steps about customizing view settings, and grouping all email messages by subjects automatically.
Step 1: Click to open a mail folder which you will group email messages by subjects in.
Step 2: Open the Advanced View Settings dialog box:
- In Outlook 2007, please click the View > Current View > Customize Current View.
- In Outlook 2010 and 2013, please click the View Settings button on the View tab;
Step 3: In the new dialog box, please click the Group By button.
Step 4: In the Group By dialog box:
- Uncheck the option of Automatically group according to arrangement.
- Click the Group items by box, and select the Subject in the drop down list.
Step 5: Click all OK buttons in each dialog box.
Till to now, all email messages in the opened mail folder have been grouped by subjects automatically.
Recommended Productivity Tools
- Complicated and repeated operations can be done a one-time processing in seconds.
- Forward multiple emails individually with one-click, and auto forward by rules.
- Auto CC/BCC every sending email and easy for customizing rules, and auto reply without requiring exchange server.
- Powerful junk emails filter, remove duplicate emails, reply with attachment, bunch of one-click operations, and so on...
- 60-day unlimited free trial. 60-day money back guarantee. 2 years free upgrade and support. Buy once, use forever.