How to auto create new tasks when receiving specified emails in Outlook?
In Outlook, it may be easy for us to create a new task from an email message. But, have you ever tried to create a new task automatically when receiving specified emails? For example, I just want to auto create tasks from the messages of my boss. How could you deal with this job in Outlook?
There is no direct method and rule to solve this job, but here, I can combine the VBA code and rule together to finish it, please do as follows:
1. Launch the Outlook, and then hold down the ALT + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, double click ThisOutlookSession from the Project1(VbaProject.OTM) pane to open the mode, and then copy and paste the following code into the blank module.
VBA code: auto create new tasks when receiving emails:
Sub CreateNewTask(Item As Outlook.MailItem) Dim xNewTask As TaskItem On Error Resume Next Set xNewTask = Outlook.CreateItem(olTaskItem) With xNewTask .Subject = Item.Subject .StartDate = Item.ReceivedTime .DueDate = Item.ReceivedTime + 1 .Body = Item.Body .Importance = olImportanceHigh .Save End With Set xNewTask = Nothing End Sub
3. Then save and close the code, after inserting the code, you need create a rule. Please click Rules > Manage Rules & Alerts under the Home tab, see screenshot:
4. In the Rules and Alerts dialog box, click New Rule, see screenshot:
5. In the popped out Rules Wizard, select Apply rule on message I receive option from the Start from a blank rule section, see screenshot:
6. Click Next button, in the Step 1: Select condition(s) list box, choose the condition you want to create. In this example, I will check from people or public group option, and in the Step 2: Edit the rule description (click an underline value) section, click the people or public group link go to the Rule Address dialog box, then double click the email address which you want to auto create task while receiving . See screenshot:
7. Click OK, and go on clicking Next button, in the Step 1: Select action(s) list box, check run a script option, in Step 2: Edit the rule description (click an underline value) box, click on a script link. And a Select Script dialog box will show up, select the previously added macro and click OK.
8. And then click Next > Next to go the Finish rule setup screen. Give a rule name for this new rule you creaed into Step 1: Specify a name for this rule text box, and then check Turn on this rule in Step 2: Setup rule options section, see screenshot:
9. Then click Finish button and click OK to close the Rules and Alerts dialog.
10. From now on, once you receive the emails that from the specific address, Outlook will create the corresponding tasks automatically. You can check these tasks in your task folder. See screenshot:
- Auto CC/BCC by rules when sending email; Auto Forward Multiple Emails by custom; Auto Reply without exchange server, and more automatic features...
- BCC Warning - show message when you try to reply all if your mail address is in the BCC list; Remind When Missing Attachments, and more remind features...
- Reply (All) With All Attachments in the mail conversation; Reply Many Emails in seconds; Auto Add Greeting when reply; Add Date into subject...
- Attachment Tools: Manage All Attachments in All Mails, Auto Detach, Compress All, Rename All, Save All... Quick Report, Count Selected Mails...
- Powerful Junk Emails by custom; Remove Duplicate Mails and Contacts... Enable you to do smarter, faster and better in Outlook.