How to change/reset account password in Outlook?
Let’s say you have added a Gmail account in Outlook before. Now you wanto to change this Gmail account’s login password online, and then you will have to update this Gmail account’s password in Outlook accordingly for continually receiving and sending emails via it. On the other hand, you can also change the password about accessing Outlook data file of an email account in Outlook. This article provides ways to change both kinds of passwords in Outlook:
- Update login password of Internet email account (Gmail) in Outlook
- Change accessing password of an email account’s Outlook Data File in Outlook
If you have changed your email password for third-party providers (such as Gmail, Yahoo, etc.), and now you need to update the new password in Outlook, you can just open and run Outlook. Outlook will then ask you for the updated password in a pop-up dialog.
However, if there are no dialog boxes popping up, you can try to update the password here:
1. Click File > Info > Account Settings > Manage Profiles to open the Mail Setup dialog box. Then click Email Accounts.
2. In the Account Settings dialog box, please click to highlight the email account whose login password you will update, and then click the Change button. See screenshot:
3. In the Change Account dialog box, please clear the old password from the Password box, type the new login password into it, and click the Next button.
Note: If you do not want to test the login password and other email account settings, please uncheck the Automatically test account settings when Next is clicked option.
4. Now the Test Account Settings dialog box comes out. After testing completes, please click the Close button.
5. Click the Finish button to save the new password, and then close the Account Settings dialog box.
Up to now, the specified email account’s login password has been updated in Outlook.
Sometimes, you may set a password to access one email account’s Outlook Data File (.pst) in Outlook. To change this kind of accessing password in Outlook, please do as follows:
1. Click File > Info > Account Settings > Account Settings to open the Account Settings dialog box.
2. In the opening Account Settings dialog box, please shift to the Data Files tab, then select an email account that you want to change the password of, and click Settings. See screenshot below:
Note: Make sure the extension of the file listed in the Location column that you select is .pst, since you can only set and change passwords for an Outlook Data File (.pst).
3. Now please click the Change Password button in the Outlook Data File dialog box. See screenshot below:
Note: You cannot see the Change Password option if you selected an Offline Outlook Data File (.ost) file since there is no way to set a password for an .ost file.
4. In the popping up Change Password dialog box, please type the original password into the Old password box, and type the new password into both New password box and Verify password box. If you did not set a password for the selected .pst file, you can just leave the Old password box blank.
Note: It’s optional to check the Save this password in your password list option in the Change Password dialog box.
5. Click OK > OK > OK in the dialog boxes to save the new password.
So far the password for accessing Outlook data file of the specified email account has been changed.
Note: This method can only add or change accessing password to the Outlook data file (.pst) of POP3 email accounts. After you set a password on your Outlook data file, do keep the password in mind, since there is no way to retrieve the password.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Outlook - Over 100 Powerful Features to Supercharge Your Outlook
Over 100 Features Await Your Exploration! Click Here to Discover More.