How to copy distribution list (members) to another distribution list in Outlook?
Alias: outlook copy distribution list members to new distribution list
For example, you want to copy all or part of distribution list members to another distribution list in Outlook. However, Outlook does not support users to copy distribution list members at all. Do not worry, in this article I will introduce several tricky ways to solve it in Outlook.
Office Tab: Enable Tabbed Editing and Browsing in Office, Just Like Chrome, Firefox, IE 8/9/10.
Classic Menu: Bring Old Menus and Toolbars Back to Office 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 and 2019.
For copying part of distribution list members to another or new distribution list, you can add all distribution list as an email’s recipients, and then copy to the other/new one in Outlook.
1. Go to the People (or Contacts) view, double click to open the distribution list you will copy members from.
2. In the opening Contact Group window, please click Contact Group > Email. See screenshot:
And now the active contact group is added as a new email’s recipient.
3. In the popping out Message window, please click button in the To box to expand the contact group.
4. Now click the OK button in the Expand List dialog box. And now all members of the contact group are expanded out.
5. Now remove members you don’t need to copy in the To box, and then copy reserved ones with selecting all and pressing the Ctrl + C keys.
6. Return to the People (or Contacts) view, and open the distribution list you will copy members to with double-clicking.
Note: For copying members to a new distribution list, please click Home > New Contact Group in the Contact view.
7. In the opening Contact group window, please click Contact Group > Add Members > From Address Book. See screenshot:
8. Now in the Select Members dialog box, please paste copied members into the Members box with pressing the Ctrl + V keys simultaneously, and click the OK button.
9. Now you return to the Contact Group window, please click Contact Group > Save & Close button.
Note: If you copy members to a new contact group, please name this new contact group in the Name box, and then click the Save & Close button.
So far, you have copied part of members from one contact group and paste into another one.
If you want to copy multiple members from one distribution list to a new one in Outlook, you can also try below tricky method:
1. In the People (or Contacts) view, select the contact group you will copy members from, and copy it with selecting and pressing the Ctrl + C keys simultaneously.
2. Paste the copied contact group into current contact folder with pressing the Ctrl + V keys simultaneously.
3. Double click to open the pasted contact group. In the Contact Group window, please select all members except those you need to copy, and click Contact Group > Remove Member. See screenshot:
Note: Holding the Ctrl key, you can select multiple nonadjacent members with clicking them one by one; holding the Shift key, you can select multiple adjacent members with clicking the first one and the last one.
4. Keep in the Contact Group window, type a new name for this pasted contact group in the Name box, and click Contact Group > Save & Close button.
So far you have copied multiple members from one contact group to a new one by a round-about way.
If you have Kutools for Outlook installed, you can apply its Stripping (Contact Group) feature to copy multiple contact group members from one Contact group to new one.
Kutools for Outlook - With more than 20 handy Outlook add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days
1. In the People (or Contact) view, please select the contact group you will copy members from, and click Kutools > Group.
2. In the opening Contact Group dialog box, please check the members you will copy, and click the Ok button. See screenshot:
3. In the New Contact Group dialog box, please type a name for the new contact group you will copy members to, and click the OK button. See screenshot above:
So far the checked members have been copied from the specified contact group to the new one.
Note: This feature will remove all checked members from original contact group.
Recommended Productivity Tools
- Complicated and repeated operations can be done a one-time processing in seconds.
- Forward multiple emails individually with one-click, and auto forward by rules.
- Auto CC/BCC every sending email and easy for customizing rules, and auto reply without requiring exchange server.
- Powerful junk emails filter, remove duplicate emails, reply with attachment, bunch of one-click operations, and so on...
- 60-day unlimited free trial. 60-day money back guarantee. 2 years free upgrade and support. Buy once, use forever.