How to prevent attendees from forwarding Outlook meeting?
In some cases, you may want to prevent meeting attendees from forwarding your meeting in Outlook, for the sake of privacy, confidentiality, or other purposes. Here, in this article I will introduce two solutions for you:
This method will guide you to add Disable Forwarding and Enable Forwarding buttons on the Ribbon in the Meeting window by VBA, and then you can prevent attendees from forwarding your meeting by the Disable Forwarding button. Please do as follows:
1. Press Alt + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste below VBA code into the new Module window.
VBA: Prevent attendees from forwarding meeting
Sub ItemDisableForwarding() Dim xCurrentItem As Object Set xCurrentItem = Outlook.ActiveInspector.CurrentItem xCurrentItem.Actions("Forward").Enabled = False MsgBox "Forwarding current meeting has been disabled. Any meeting attendee is prevented from forwarding this meeting." End Sub Sub ItemEnableForwarding() Dim xCurrentItem As Object Set xCurrentItem = ActiveInspector.CurrentItem xCurrentItem.Actions("Forward").Enabled = True MsgBox "Forwarding current meeting has been enabled." End Sub
3. Save the VBA code, and close the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
4. Open a calendar folder, and click Home > New Meeting to create a new meeting.
5. Click File > Options to open the Outlook Options dialog box.
6. In the Outlook Options dialog box, click Customize Ribbon in the left bar, click to highlight Appointment in the right box, and click the New Group button. See screenshot:
7. Now a new group is added under Appointment tab. Please click the Rename button, type a new name for it and click the OK button in the Rename dialog box. See screenshot:
8. Go ahead to (1) select Macros from the Choose commands from drop down list, (2) select Project1.ItemDisableForwarding in the left box, and (3) click the Add button.
9. Now the selected command is added to the right box. Keep it selected, and: (1) click the Rename button, (2) in the Rename dialog box, specify an icon for the command, (3) type a new name for it, and finally (4) click the OK button. See screenshot:
10. Please repeat above Step 8-9 to add the other Project1.ItemEnableForwarding to the right box, and click the OK button in the Outlook Options dialog box.
Now you return to the Meeting window, and you will see the two commands have been added under the Meeting tab. See screenshot:
11. Click Meeting > Disable Forwarding, and then click the OK button in the popping out dialog box. See screenshot:
12. Add meeting elements as you need, and click the Send button to send it.
If attendees want to forward this meeting by Meeting > Forward in their Outlook, a dialog box will come out to prevent the forwarding action.
(1). This method won’t prevent attendees from forwarding the meeting as iCalendar attachment.
(2). This method works well for Exchange account.
Actually, you can modify the meeting form and disable the Forward feature in it. All meetings created based on this form will not be allowed to forward in Outlook.
1. Open a calendar folder, and click Home > New Meeting to create a new meeting.
2. In the Meeting window, please click File > Options.
3. In the Outlook Options dialog box, please click Customize Ribbon on the left bar, check Developer in the right box, and click the OK button. See screenshot:
4. Now return to the Meeting window, please click Developer > Design This Form. See screenshot:
5. Enable the (Actions) tab, and double click the Forward row to open its Form Action Properties dialog box.
6. In the Form Action Properties dialog box, please uncheck the Enable option, and click the OK button. See screenshot:
7. Click Developer > Run This Form. See screenshot:
8. Now a new meeting is created based on the modified meeting form. Please add meeting elements as you need, and click the Send button.
(1) If you need to apply this modified meeting form frequently, it’s recommended to save it by clicking Developer > Publish > Publish Form.
(2) All meetings created based on the modified meeting form are not allowed attendees to forward. However, attendees are not prevented from forwarding these meetings as iCalendar attachments.
(3) This method works well for Exchange account.
- Auto CC/BCC by rules when sending email; Auto Forward Multiple Emails by custom; Auto Reply without exchange server, and more automatic features...
- BCC Warning - show message when you try to reply all if your mail address is in the BCC list; Remind When Missing Attachments, and more remind features...
- Reply (All) With All Attachments in the mail conversation; Reply Many Emails in seconds; Auto Add Greeting when reply; Add Date into subject...
- Attachment Tools: Manage All Attachments in All Mails, Auto Detach, Compress All, Rename All, Save All... Quick Report, Count Selected Mails...
- Powerful Junk Emails by custom; Remove Duplicate Mails and Contacts... Enable you to do smarter, faster and better in Outlook.
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 months agoThank you! The VBA works just fine, except when the recipient is using the web app instead of the desktop app. For some reason people can use the web app and forward disabled forwarding meetings/appointments.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoNow what happens to the original message? It's asking to do I want to save and send!
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoHello, I have tried to disable forwarding by VBA code, but it does not work. It shows run-time error '91' Object variable ot With block variable not set.
When I click debug it highlights this line:
Set xCurrentItem = Outlook.ActiveInspector.CurrentItem
Could you help me with it? Thank you
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoThis is super helpful thanks. Any chance you can also advise on using this option with shared mailbox? I am part of a team and we have a shared mailbox (I am one of the owners). I can see the developer tab but when I go in actions tab and double click I get "the operation failed" message. Thoughts? I only tried using the design form method. Thanks!