How to sort email address by domain in Excel?
Is it possible for us to sort a range of data by email address domain in a worksheet? Today, I can talk about some useful tricks for you to deal with this task.
With this Text to Column function of Excel, you can split the email domain first, and then sort by the separated domain column, please do as this:
1. Copy your data that you want to sort to a new worksheet.
2. And in the backup worksheet, select your email addresses column and then click Data > Text to Columns, see screenshot:
3. And in the Convert Text to Column Wizard, check Delimited option and click Next button. See screenshot:
4. In the step 2 of this wizard, uncheck all except Other option under Delimiters, and enter @ symbol to the box next to Other. See screenshot:
5. Go on clicking Next > Finish, and the domain has been split from the email address as following screenshot shown:
6. And then copy the split domains and paste them next to your original data, and select the domain column, then click Data > Sort A to Z or Sort Z to A as you need, see screenshot:
7. And a Sort Warning dialog box will pop out, check Expand the selection, and click Sort button, all the data has been sorted by the domain of the email address. See screenshots:
8. At last, you can delete the domain column as you need.
If you consider the above method is somewhat troublesome, you can add a helper column to extract the domain and then sort it.
1. Open your worksheet and type this formula =MID(B2,FIND("@",B2,1)+1,255) into a blank cell beside your email address, in this example, I will enter this formula into cell C1,(B2 contains the email address that you want to use) see screenshot:
2. Then press Enter key, and select cell B2, then drag the fill handle to the range that you want to apply this formula, and all the email domains have been extracted from the addresses. See screenshot:
3. And then click Data > Sort A to Z or Sort Z to A as you need, in the Sort Warning dialog box, check Expand the selection, and click Sort button to sort the data by email domain with ascending order or descending order.
4. After sorting the data, you can delete the helper column as you like.
If you have installed Kutools for Excel, you can use its Advanced Sort feature to quickly sort by email domain.
1. Select the name and email list range and click Enterprise > Advanced Sort. See screenshot:
2. In the Advanced Sort dialog box, check My data has headers, and select the column you want to sort by, and choose Mail domain from the Sort On drop-down list, then specify the order you want. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok, and then the range are sorted by email domain. See screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!