How to select entire column except header/first row in Excel?
If you have a long list with a header in your worksheet, and you want to select the entire column but the header, you can select them by dragging mouse, but this method is too troublesome when the list is very long. Here I have some tricks for you to quickly select the entire column except header or the first row in Excel.
If your list does not contain any blank cells, you can use the shortcut to select entire column but the first row.
Select the header or the first row of your list and press Shift + Ctrl + ↓(the drop down button), then the list has been selected except the first row.
Note: If there are blank cells in your list, it will select the list until the first blank cell appears with this method.
If the list contains blank cells, with the shortcut cannot solve the selecting, now you can define a name for the column that you can select it except the first row in Excel.
1. Click Formula > Define Name, see screenshot:
2. In the Define Name dialog, specify a name you like, and select Workbook in the Scope list and then type =$A$2:$A$1048576 (A is the column you want to select, in Excel 2003, you can change $A$1048576 to $A$65536) into the Refers to text box. See screenshot:
3. Then select the name you have defined in above step from the Name Box, you can see the entire column but the first row has been selected.
Also, besides the Define Name function, you can use VBA to select entire column but first row.
1. Select a cell of the column you want to select and press Alt + F11 to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. In the pop-up window, click Insert > Module, then paste the following VBA code into the module.
VBA: Select entire column except header
Sub SelectColumn() 'Updateby20140510 Dim xColIndex As Integer Dim xRowIndex As Integer xIndex = Application.ActiveCell.Column xRowIndex = Application.ActiveSheet.Cells(Rows.Count, xIndex).End(xlUp).Row Range(Cells(2, xIndex), Cells(xRowIndex, xIndex)).Select End Sub
3. Click Run button, then the column which selected cell in is selected except the first row.
Tip: The VBA macro will select from the second cell to the last cell with content in the column you activated in Step 1.
The above methods may a little troublesome for you, but using the Select Range Helper feature of Kutools for Excel will be easy for you to select entire column (including or excluding blank cells) except first cell.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs easier.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:(Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
If you want to select enrire column except first cell which including blank cells, do as below:
1. Select the entire column first and click Kutools > Select Tools > Select Range Helper. See screenshot:
2. In the Select Ranger Helper dialog, check Deselect Cells, then select the header of the selected column, and click Close to close the dialog. See screenshot:
Then the entire column has been selected except the header.
If you want to select entire column except first cell and also excluding blank cells, do as these:
1. Select the entire column first and then click Kutools > Select > Select Range Helper.
2. Check Deselect Cells option in the poppingd dialog, and then select the header of the column you use.
3. Keep the cells selected, and click Kutools > Select > Select Nonblank Cells. See screenshot:
Now the entire column cells except headers and blank cells are selected.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!