How to filter all related data from merged cells in Excel?
Supposing there is a column of merged cells in your data range, and now, you need to filter this column with merged cells to show all the rows which are related with each merged cell as following screenshots shown. In excel, the Filter feature allows you to filter only the first item which associated with the merged cells, in this article, I will talk about how to filter all related data from merged cells in Excel?
To solve this job, you need to do following operations step by step.
1. Copy your merged cells data to other blank column in order to keep the original merged cell formatting.
2. Select your original merged cell (A2:A15), and then click Home > Merged & Center to cancel the merged cells, see screenshots:
3. Keep the selection status of A2: A15, and then go to Home tab, and click Find & Select > Go To Special, in the Go To Special dialog box, select Blanks option under Select section,see screenshot:
4. All the blank cells have been selected, then type = and press Up arrow key on keyboard, and then press Ctrl + Enter keys to fill all the selected blank cells with the value above, see screenshot:
5. Then you need to apply the formatting of your pasted merged cells in step 1, select the merged cells E2:E15, and click Home > Format Painter, see screenshot:
6. And then drag the Format Painter to fill from A2 to A15 to apply the original merged formatting to this range.
7. At last, you can apply the Filter function to filter the item that you want, please click Data > Filter, and choose your needed filter criteria, click OK to filter the merged cells with all their related data, see screenshot:
The above mehtod may be somewhat difficult for you, here, with Kutools for Excel's Filter Merge Cells feature, you can quickly filter all relative cells of the specific merged cell. Click to download Kutools for Excel! Please see the following demo:
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as this:
1. Select the column that you want to filter the specific merged cell, and then click Kutools Plus > Special Filter > Special Filter, see screenshot:
2. In the Special Filter dialog box, select Format option, then choose Merge Cells from the drop down list, and then enter the text value you want to filter, or click button to select the cell value you need, see screenshot:
3. Then click Ok button, and a prompt box is popped out to remind you how many cells matched the criteria, see screenshot:
4. And then click OK button, all relative cells of the specific merged cell have been filtered out as following screenshot shown:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!