How to extract domain name from URL in Excel?
If you are always dealing with a lot of URLs in your workbook, sometimes, you may want to extract only the domain name from each webpage. In Excel, how could you quickly get the domain names from URLs?
The following long formula can help you to return the domain name from webpage as you need. Please do as follows:
1. In a blank cell which next to your webpage cell, enter the following formula, in this example, I will type the formula in cell B2: =IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("www.",A2)),MID(A2,FIND("www.",A2)+4,IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("/",A2,9)),FIND("/",A2,9),LEN(A2)+1)-FIND("www.",A2)-4),MID(A2,FIND("//",A2)+2,IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("/",A2,9)),FIND("/",A2,9),LEN(A2)+1)-FIND("//",A2)-2)).
Note: in the above formula, A2 indicates the cell which contains the webpage you want to get the domain name from, you can change it as you need.
2. Then press Enter key, and select the cell B2, drag the fill handle down over to the range that you want to apply this formula, and all the domain names have been extracted from the each URL. See screenshot:
If you are interested in VBA code, you can create a User Defined Function to extract the domain name from URLs.
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA code: extract domain name from URL
Function ExtractDomain(ByVal URL As String) As String 'Update 20140904 If InStr(URL, "//") Then URL = Mid(URL, InStr(URL, "//") + 2) End If If Left(URL, 4) Like "[Ww][Ww][Ww0-9]." Then URL = Mid(URL, 5) End If ExtractDomain = Split(URL, "/")(0) End Function
3. Then save and close the code, go back to the worksheet, and enter this formula =Extractdomain(A2) into a blank cell besides the webpage, see screenshot:
4. And then press Enter key, select the cell B2, and drag the fill handle down to the cells that you want to contain this formula, and all the domain names will be extracted from each webpage cell.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!