How to format single character in selected cell in Excel?
For formatting single character in selected cell, normally you have to double click the cell and select the single character to format. That’s time-consuming if there are multiple characters you need to format within a cell by using this traditional method. This article aims to show you how to format single character in selected cell in Excel.
Recommended Excel Productivity Tools
In this section, we will show you the traditional method to format single character in selected cell in Excel. Please do as follows.
Take the content in below screenshot as an example, the number 2 of word H2O should be a subscript in this selected cell.
1. Double click to get into this cell.
2. Manually select the number 2, and right click it. Then click Format Cells in the right-clicking menu. See screenshot:
Note: If you just want to format the character with changing font size, color and so on, after selecting the character, specify the character font style under the Home tab.
3. In the Format Cells dialog box, check the Subscript box, and then click the OK button.
Now the selected single character is formatted. See screenshot:
Note: IF you need to format multiple characters in the selected cell, you need to repeat the above operations until all characters are formatted as you need.
In this section, we will show you the Superscript / Subscript utility of Kutools for Excel. With this utility, you can quickly format single or multiple characters of selected cell in Excel.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
1. Select the cell you want to format the single character inside, and click Kutools > Format > Superscript / Subscript. See screenshot:
2. In the Superscript / Subscript Formatting dialog box, click to select the character in the Click to select the character you want to format box, check the Subscript option in the Char 2 section or other font style in the Options section, and then click the OK button.
1. You can instantly preview the changes of the character after checking the In-cell preview box.
2. You can go on formatting other characters in this dialog box without closing it.