How to capitalize first letter only or first letter of each word in Excel?
Supposing you have a list of text strings which words are in all uppercase, lowercase or mixed with lowercase and uppercase, in this situation, you need to make the first letter of each word in the cell to be uppercase, and others are lowercase as following screenshot shown:
Do you have any good ways to capitalize or uppercase the first letter of each word for multiple cells quickly and easily in Excel?
Capitalize first letter only or first letter of each word in text string cells：
With the help of Kutools for Excel’s Change Case utility, you can quickly change the text strings to upper case, lower case, proper case, sentence case and so on.
Kutools for Excel: with more than 200 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days. Download and free trial Now!
To make the first letter of each word within a cell capitalize, you can use the Proper function or a simple VBA code. Please do with following steps:
Method1: Proper function:
1. Enter this formula: =PROPER(A2) into a blank cell next to your data, B2 for instance, see screenshot:
2. And then drag the fill handle down to the cells that you want to apply this formula, and you can see all the first letters of each word within the cell have been capitalized. See screenshot:
Method2: VBA code:
The following VBA code also can help you to uppercase all of the first letter of each word in a cell.
1. Please hold down ALT + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA code: Capitalize first letter of each word in a cell
Sub Proper_Case() 'Updateby20150428 Dim x As Range Dim Workx As Range On Error Resume Next xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set Workx = Application.Selection Set Workx = Application.InputBox("Range", xTitleId, Workx.Address, Type:=8) For Each x In Workx x.Value = Application.Proper(x.Value) Next End Sub
3. Then press F5 key to execute this code, and select the data range that you want to use in the popped out dialog box, see screenshot:
4. And then click OK button, all the first letter of each word in the cells have become capitalized.
Sometimes, you just want to uppercase the first letter only and lowercase others in the cell, are you suffered with this problem in Excel? In fact, here is a formula may do you a favor to solve this task.
1. Type this formula into a blank cell besides your data, =UPPER(LEFT(A2,1))&LOWER(RIGHT(A2,LEN(A2)-1)), see screenshot:
2. Then drag the fill handle to the range of cells which you want to contain this formula, and only the first letter of the cells has become uppercase. See screenshot:
If you have Kutools for Excel, with its Change Case feature, you can quickly capitalize both first letter of each word and first letter only in a cell.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 120 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Select the data range that you want to use.
2. Click Kutools > Text > Change Case, see screenshot:
3. In the Change Case dialog box, if you select Proper Case, the first letter of each word will be capitalized, see screenshot:
If you choose Sentence case, only the first letter of the text strings are capitalized as following screenshot shown:
Recommended Productivity Tools
Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
300 New Features for Excel, Make Excel Much Easy and Powerful:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...