How to sort dates by quarter in Excel?
This article is talking about sorting dates by quarter only with ignoring year and month in Excel. Here are two methods to get it done.
Recommended Excel Productivity Tools
We can insert a helper column to list corresponding quarters of dates, and then sort the range by quarter. Please do as follows:
1. Add a new column besides the original range and type Quarter as column heading.
2. In the second cell of new column, type the formula =ROUNDUP(MONTH(A2)/3,0) into it, and then drag the Fill Handle down to the range as you need.
Note: In above formula, A2 is the date cell, and you can change it based on your needs.
Now the Quarter column is added as below screenshot shown:
3. Select the new Quarter column, and click one sort button on the Data tab.
4. A Sort Warning dialog box comes out, please keep checking the Expand the selection option, and click the Sort button.
Now you will see the certain range is sorted by quarter as below screenshot shown:
5. Delete the Quarter column with right clicking the column and selecting Delete from the right-clicking menu.
If you have Kutools for Excel installed, its Advanced Sort utility can help you easily sort dates by quarter ignoring the year and month. Please do as follows:
Kutools for Excel - Combines more than 300 Advanced Functions and Tools for Microsoft Excel
1. Select the range that you will sort dates by quarter, and click the Enterprise > Advanced Sort.
2. In the popping out Advanced Sort dialog box, you need to:
(1) In the Column drop down list, please specify the date column that you will sort by quarter.
(2) Click the Sort On drop down list, and select Quarter.
(3) Specify the sort order in the Order drop down list.
3. Click the Ok button. Then you will see the selected range is sorted by quarter as below screenshot shown: