How to count the frequency of text values in a column?
If you have some duplicate text values in a column of a worksheet, and now you want to count the number of occurrence of each word to get the following result. How could you finish this job in Excel quickly and easily?
If you are familiar with the Pivot Table of Excel, it may do you a favor, please do as follows:
1. Select the data column that you want to count.
2. Click Insert > Pivot Table, and in the Create PivotTable dialog box, under Choose where you want the PivotTable report to be placed section, you can choose a new worksheet or a cell of existing worksheet you need to put the PivotTable, see screenshot:
3. Then click OK, in the PivotTable Fields pane, drag the header from Choose fields to add to report section to the Rows and Values areas separately, and you can see a pivot table is created which count the frequency of each text value in the selected column, see screenshot:
If you have not experience to using the Pivot Table, you can use a handy tool- Kutools for Excel, with its Advanced Combine Rows feature, you can quickly combine or get some calculations based on a key column.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:( Free Download Kutools for Excel Now )
1. Copy your data besides the original data, and create a new column to get the count calculation, then select the two columns, see screenshot:
2. Then click Kutools > Merge & Split > Advanced Combine Rows, see screenshot:
3. In the Combine Rows Based on Column dialog box, click the column that you want to count the frequency of the text values, and then click Primary Key command, see screenshot:
4. Then click another column herder (the blank one) where you want to get the count result, and then click Calculate > Count, see screenshot:
5. And then click Ok button, you will get the number of times the text values appears as following screenshot shown:
1. If you check My data has headers option, your headers (the first row) of the range will be ignored when you apply this utility.
2. Use formatted values: this will keep the formatting of the values after combining the duplicate cells.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Spreadsheets： Experience Efficiency Like Never Before with Kutools for Excel
Kutools for Excel boasts over 300 features, ensuring that what you need is just a click away...
Supports Office/Excel 2007-2021 & newer, including 365 | Available in 44 languages | Enjoy a full-featured 30-day free trial.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!