How to switch to/toggle read only mode in Excel?
Sometimes, for preventing readers from changing active workbook by accident, you may want to switch the workbook to read only mode. This article will show you the detailed steps to switch to or toggle active workbook between read only mode and editing mode in Excel.
The Toggle Read Only feature can help Excel users easily switch active workbook between editing mode and read only mode. However, this feature does not show in Ribbon. This method will guide you to show the Toggle Read Only button in the Quick Access Toolbar easily.
1. Click the Arrowin the Quick Access Toolbar, and select the More Commands from the drop down list. See screenshot:
2. In the opening Excel Options dialog box, please do as follows:
(1) Select the Commands Not in the Ribbon from the Choose commands from drop down list;
(2) Click to highlight the Toggle Read Only in the commands list;
(3) Click the Add button.
3. Click the OK button to show this Toggle Read Only button in the Quick Access Toolbar. See screenshot:
4. Click the Toggle Read Only button for the first time, active workbook switches to read only mode; click the Toggle Read Only button once more, active workbook restores editing mode.
(1) If you have never saved active workbook before, this Toggle Read Only button is invalid.
(2) When switching to read only mode, the following dialog box will come out if you have changed active workbook but not saved.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supports Office/Excel 2007-2021 and 365 | Available in 44 Languages | Easy to Uninstall Completely
Kutools for Excel Boasts Over 300 Features, Ensuring That What You Need Is Just A Click Away...
Supercharge Your Excel Skills: Experience Efficiency Like Never Before with Kutools for Excel (Full-Featured 30-Day Free Trial)
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day! (Full-Featured 30-Day Free Trial)