How to delete all but selected ranges in Excel?
In Excel, we can quickly and directly delete the selected ranges, but have you ever tried to delete other cell contents except the selected ranges? This article, I will introduce some tricks for you to solve this task in Excel quickly and easily.
There is no direct way for you to delete all of the unselected cell values at once, but, the following VBA code may help you, please do as follows:
1. Please hold the Ctrl key to select the cells that you want to keep.
2. Press Alt + F11 keys simultaneously to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Application window.
3. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Application window dialog box, click Insert > Module, then copy and paste the below VBA code into the Module window.
VBA code: delete all cell values but the selected ranges
Sub ClearAllExceptSelection() 'updateby Extendoffice Dim xRg As Range Dim xCell As Range Dim xAddress As String Dim xUpdate As Boolean On Error Resume Next xAddress = Application.ActiveWindow.RangeSelection.Address Set xRg = Application.InputBox("Please select the ranges want to keep", "Kutools for Excel", xAddress, , , , , 8) If xRg Is Nothing Then Exit Sub xUpdate = Application.ScreenUpdating Application.ScreenUpdating = False For Each xCell In ActiveSheet.UsedRange If Intersect(xCell, xRg) Is Nothing Then xCell.Clear End If Next Application.ScreenUpdating = xUpdate End Sub
4. Then press F5 key to run this code, and a prompt box is popped out to remind you to select the range of cells that you want to keep, if you have selected the ranges in step1, please click OK, if not, you can select the cells you want in the prompt box, and enter the commas to separate the multiple ranges, then click OK button, see screenshot:
5. After clicking OK, all other cell values have been deleted but just leaving the selected ranges, see screenshot:
If you have installed Kutools for Excel, with its Inverse Selection feature of Select Range Helper utility, you can quickly reverse the selection, and then delete the reversed selections at once.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:( Free Download Kutools for Excel Now! )
1. Select the ranges of cells that you want to keep.
2. Then click Kutools > Select > Select Range Helper, see screenshot:
3. In the Select Range Helper dialog box, check Inverse Selection, see screenshot:
4. And then drag the mouse to select the range that you want to reverse the selections. When you release the mouse, the selected cells have been deselected and the unselected cells have been selected at once. See screenshot:
5. Then close the dialog box, and press Delete key to delete the selections at once. And only your desired cells have been kept, see screenshot:
Another utility-Copy Ranges of Kutools for Excel also can help you finish this job, you just need to copy your selected ranges to a new worksheet, and then delete the old worksheet.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do with the following steps:( Free Download Kutools for Excel Now! )
1. Hold Ctrl key to select the ranges of cells that you want to keep.
2. Then click Kutools > Copy Ranges, see screenshot:
3. And in the Copy Multiple Ranges dialog box, check All option under the Paste special, check Including row height and Including column width if you want to keep the row height and column width that you want, see screenshot:
4. Then click Ok button, and another prompt box will pop out to remind you select a cell to put the copied cells, please select a cell in a new worksheet, see screenshot:
5. And then click OK, and only your selected ranges have been pasted into the new worksheet, and now you can delete the original worksheet as you need.