How to convert all caps to only first cap in selected range in Excel?
Supposing you got a worksheet with all names are capitalized in a list, how to convert them to only make the first letter of each word capitalized? This article provides you three methods to deal with this problem.
Convert all caps to only make the first letter of each word cap with formula
Convert all caps to only make the first letter of each word cap with VBA code
Convert all caps to only make the first letter of each word cap in bulk with Kutools for Excel
You can convert all caps to only first cap in a list with formula. Please do as follows.
1. Select a blank cell (says cell C2) for locating the converted result, and enter formula =PROPER(B2) into the formula bar, and then press the Enter key.
You can see the capitalized name is converted to proper case (first cap) immediately in the help column.
2. Keep selecting the cell C2, drag the Fill Handle down to the list until it reaches the cell you need to convert the name case.
Note: In the formula, please change the cell reference based on your list.
Easily change case of texts in selected range in Excel
Kutools for Excel's Change Case utility helps you easily change case of texts in selected range in Excel. as the below demo shown.
Download and try it now! (30-day free trail)
Besides, you can run the following VBA code to convert all capitalized names to only first cap in a list.
1. Press Alt + F11 keys simultaneously to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Application window.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Application window, click Insert > Module, and then copy and paste below VBA code into the Module window.
VBA code: Convert all caps to only first cap
Dim xRg As Range
Dim xCell As Range
Dim xAddress As String
Dim xUpdate As Boolean
On Error Resume Next
xAddress = Application.ActiveWindow.RangeSelection.Address
Set xRg = Application.InputBox("Please select a range", "Kutools for Excel", xAddress, , , , , 8)
Set xRg = Application.Intersect(xRg, ActiveSheet.UsedRange)
If xRg Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
xUpdate = Application.ScreenUpdating
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
For Each xCell In xRg.Cells
If xCell.HasFormula = False Then
xCell.Value = Application.WorksheetFunction.Proper(xCell.Value)
Application.ScreenUpdating = xUpdate
3. Click the F5 key or click the Run button to run this code. In the popping up Kutools for Excel dialog box, select the range you want to convert all caps to only first cap, and then click the OK button.
Then all capitalized names in selected range are converted to only first capital names immediately.
This section shows you the Change Case utility of Kutools for Excel to convert all caps to only first cap in bulk with several clicks only.
Before applying Kutools for Excel, please download and install it firstly.
1. Select the list you need to convert the case, and then click Kutools > Text > Change Case. See screenshot:
2. In the Change Case dialog box, please select the Proper Case option, and then click the OK button.
Then all capitalized names in selected list are converted to proper case at once.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!