How to convert all caps to only first cap in selected range in Excel?
Supposing you got a worksheet with all names are capitalized in a list, how to convert them to only first letter of each word are capitalized? This article provides you three methods to deal with this problem.
|Easily change case of texts in selected range in Excel|
Kutools for Excel's Change Case utility helps you easily change case of texts in selected range in Excel.
Recommended Excel Productivity Tools
You can convert all caps to only first cap in a list with formula. Please do as follows.
1. Select a blank cell (says cell C2) for locating the converted result, and enter formula =PROPER(B2) into the formula bar, and then press the Enter key.
You can see the capitalized name is converted to proper case (first cap) immediately in the help column.
2. Keep selecting the cell C2, drag the Fill Handle down to the list until it reaches the cell you need to convert the name case.
Note: In the formula, please change the cell reference based on your list.
Besides, you can run the following VBA code to convert all capitalized names to only first cap in a list.
1. Press Alt + F11 keys simultaneously to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Application window.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Application window, click Insert > Module, and then copy and paste below VBA code into the Module window.
VBA code: Convert all caps to only first cap
Sub Proper_Case() Dim xRg As Range Dim xCell As Range Dim xAddress As String Dim xUpdate As Boolean On Error Resume Next xAddress = Application.ActiveWindow.RangeSelection.Address Set xRg = Application.InputBox("Please select a range", "Kutools for Excel", xAddress, , , , , 8) Set xRg = Application.Intersect(xRg, ActiveSheet.UsedRange) If xRg Is Nothing Then Exit Sub xUpdate = Application.ScreenUpdating Application.ScreenUpdating = False For Each xCell In xRg.Cells If xCell.HasFormula = False Then xCell.Value = Application.WorksheetFunction.Proper(xCell.Value) End If Next Application.ScreenUpdating = xUpdate End Sub
3. Click the F5 key or click the Run button to run this code. In the popping up Kutools for Excel dialog box, select the range you want to convert all caps to only first cap, and then click the OK button.
Then all capitalized names in selected range are converted to only first capital names immediately.
This section shows you the Change Case utility of Kutools for Excel to easily convert all caps to only first cap with several clicks.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
1. Select the list you need to convert the case, and then click Kutools > Text > Change Case. See screenshot:
2. In the Change Case dialog box, please select the Proper Case option, and then click the OK button.
Then all capitalized names in selected list are converted to proper case at once.
|If this utility is helpful, you can download and try the free trial now!|