How to transpose cells in one column based on unique values in another column?
Supposing, you have a range of data which contains two columns, now, you want to transpose cells in one column to horizontal rows based on unique values in another column to get the following result. Do you have any good ideas to solve this problem in Excel?
With the following array formulas, you can extract the unique values and transpose their corresponding data into horizontal rows, please do as follows:
1. Enter this array formula: =INDEX($A$2:$A$16, MATCH(0, COUNTIF($D$1:$D1, $A$2:$A$16), 0)) into a blank cell, D2, for example, and press Shift + Ctrl + Enter keys together to get the correct result, see screenshot:
Note: In the above formula, A2:A16 is the column that you want to list the unique values from, and D1 is the cell above this formula cell.
2. Then drag the fill handle down to the cells to extract all the unique values, see screenshot:
3. And then go on entering this formula into cell E2: =IFERROR(INDEX($B$2:$B$16, MATCH(0, COUNTIF($D2:D2,$B$2:$B$16)+IF($A$2:$A$16<>$D2, 1, 0), 0)), 0), and remember to press Shift + Ctrl + Enter keys to get the result, see screenshot:
Note: In above formula: B2:B16 is the column data that you want to transpose, A2:A16 is the column that you want to transpose the values based on, and D2 contains the unique value that you have extracted in Step 1.
4. Then drag the fill handle to right of the cells that you want to list the transposed data until displays 0, see screenshot:
5. And then continue dragging the fill handle down to the range of cells to get the transposed data as following screenshot shown:
May be the formulas are complex for you to understand, here, you can run the following VBA code to get the desired result you need.
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA code: Transpose cells in one column based on unique values in another column:
Sub transposeunique() 'updateby Extendoffice Dim xLRow As Long Dim i As Long Dim xCrit As String Dim xCol As New Collection Dim xRg As Range Dim xOutRg As Range Dim xTxt As String Dim xCount As Long Dim xVRg As Range On Error Resume Next xTxt = ActiveWindow.RangeSelection.Address Set xRg = Application.InputBox("please select data range(only two columns):", "Kutools for Excel", xTxt, , , , , 8) Set xRg = Application.Intersect(xRg, xRg.Worksheet.UsedRange) If xRg Is Nothing Then Exit Sub If (xRg.Columns.Count <> 2) Or _ (xRg.Areas.Count > 1) Then MsgBox "the used range is only one area with two columns ", , "Kutools for Excel" Exit Sub End If Set xOutRg = Application.InputBox("please select output range(specify one cell):", "Kutools for Excel", xTxt, , , , , 8) If xOutRg Is Nothing Then Exit Sub Set xOutRg = xOutRg.Range(1) xLRow = xRg.Rows.Count For i = 2 To xLRow xCol.Add xRg.Cells(i, 1).Value, xRg.Cells(i, 1).Value Next Application.ScreenUpdating = False For i = 1 To xCol.Count xCrit = xCol.Item(i) xOutRg.Offset(i, 0) = xCrit xRg.AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:=xCrit Set xVRg = xRg.Range("B2:B" & xLRow).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible) If xVRg.Count > xCount Then xCount = xVRg.Count xRg.Range("B2:B" & xLRow).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Copy xOutRg.Offset(i, 1).PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteAll, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks:=False, Transpose:=True Application.CutCopyMode = False Next xOutRg = xRg.Cells(1, 1) xOutRg.Offset(0, 1).Resize(1, xCount) = xRg.Cells(1, 2) xRg.Rows(1).Copy xOutRg.Resize(1, xCount + 1).PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteFormats xRg.AutoFilter Application.ScreenUpdating = True End Sub
3. Then press F5 key to run this code, and a prompt box will pop out to remind you select the data range that you want to use, see screenshot:
4. And then click OK button, another prompt box will pop out to remind you to select a cell to put the result, see screenshot:
6. Click OK button, and the data in column B has been transposed based on unique values in column A, see screenshot:
If you have Kutools for Excel, combining the Advanced Combine Rows and Split Cells utilities, you can quickly finish this task without any formulas or code.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Select the data range that you want to use. (If you want to keep the original data, please copy and paste the data to another location firstly.)
2. Then click Kutools > Merge & Split > Advanced Combine Rows, see screenshot:
3. In the Combine Rows Based on Column dialog box, please do the following operations:
(1.) Click the column name that you want to transpose data based on, and select Primary Key;
(2.) Click another column that you want to transpose, and click Combine then choose one separator to separate the combined data, such as space, comma, semicolon.
4. Then click Ok button, the data in column B has been combined together in one cell based on the column A, see screenshot:
5. And then select the combined cells, and click Kutools > Merge & Split > Split Cells, see screenshot:
6. In the Split Cells dialog box, select Split to Columns under the Type option, and then choose the separator which separate your combined data, see screenshot:
7. Then click Ok button, and select a cell to put the split result in the popped out dialog box, see screenshot:
8. Click OK, and you will get the result as you need. See screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!