How to sort decimal numbers in a column?
If you have a list of decimal numbers, with the built-in Sort function in Excel, the data will be sorted by value normally. But, sometimes, you need the data to be sorted by the number on the right of the decimal point as following screenshot shown. Do you have any good method to solve this task in Excel?
To sort the decimal numbers based on the number on the right of the decimal point, you should create a helper column, and then sort the data by the new helper column, please do as follows:
1. Enter this formula: =INT(A2)&"."&TEXT(RIGHT(A2,LEN(A2)-(FIND(".",A2))),"000") into a blank cell beside your data, B2, for instance, see screenshot:
2. Then drag the fill handle down to the cells which you want to contain this formula, and a new column data is displayed, and then click Data > Sort to sort the data base on this new helper column, see screenshot:
3. In the popped out Sort Warning box, please select Expand the selection option, see screenshot:
4. Then click Sort button, and in the Sort dialog box, select the helper column you have created from the Sort by drop down list, and then choose Values from the Sort On section, at last select the sort order under the Order section, see screenshot:
5. And then click OK button, another Sort Warning prompt box is popped out, please select Sort numbers and numbers stored as text separately option, see screenshot:
6. Then click OK button, and the data has been sorted by the number on the right of the decimal point as you need. See screenshot:
7. At last, you can delete the contents of the helper column as you need.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!