How to delete empty columns with header in Excel?
If you have a large worksheet which contains multiple columns, but some of the columns only contain a header, and now, you want to delete theses empty columns which with only a header to get the following screenshot shown. Is this can be solved in Excel quickly and easily?
In Excel, there is no direct method to deal with this job excepting delete them one by one manually, but, here, I can introduce a code for you, please do as follows:
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys, then it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA code: Delete empty columns with a header:
Sub Macro1() 'updateby Extendoffice Dim xEndCol As Long Dim I As Long Dim xDel As Boolean On Error Resume Next xEndCol = Cells.Find("*", SearchOrder:=xlByColumns, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Column If xEndCol = 0 Then MsgBox "There is no data on """ & ActiveSheet.Name & """ .", vbExclamation, "Kutools for Excel" Exit Sub End If Application.ScreenUpdating = False For I = xEndCol To 1 Step -1 If Application.WorksheetFunction.CountA(Columns(I)) <= 1 Then Columns(I).Delete xDel = True End If Next If xDel Then MsgBox "All blank and column(s) with only a header row have now been deleted.", vbInformation, "Kutools for Excel" Else MsgBox "There are no Columns to delete as each one has more data (rows) than just a header.", vbExclamation, "Kutools for Excel" End If Application.ScreenUpdating = True End Sub
3. Then press F5 key to run this code, and a prompt box will pop out to remind you the blank columns with header will be deleted, see screenshot:
4. And then click OK button, all the blank columns with only header in current worksheet are deleted at once.
Note: If there are blank columns, they will be deleted as well.
Sometimes, you just only need to delete the blank columns, the Kutools for Excel’s Delete Hidden (Visible) Rows & Columns utility can help you to finish this task with ease.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Select the columns range which include the blank columns need to be deleted.
2. Then click Kutools > Delete > Delete Hidden (Visible) Rows & Columns, see screenshot:
3. In the Delete Hidden (Visible) Rows & Columns dialog box, you can select the delete scope from the Look in drop down as you need, select Columns from the Delete type section, and then choose Blank columns from the Detailed type section, see screenshot:
4. Then click Ok button, and only the empty columns are deleted at once. See screenshot:
Tips: With this powerful feature, you can also delete blank rows, visible columns or row, hidden columns or rows as you need.
You are guest
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 days agoCan this be saved in one spreadsheet and run on other files?
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 11 months agoWorks perfectly. Greatly appreciated
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoOMG, this is genius!!! thank you
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 years agoHi,
Thanks for the nice code above.
Is it free to use?