How to quickly split text string by case in Excel?
In Excel, we usually split text by fixed width or delimiter with Text to Columns function, but have you ever tried to split text by uppercase and lowercase? For instance, you have a list of data, and you need to split them into two columns based on the case: one column contains lowercase string, and the other contains uppercase string as below screenshot shown. The Text to Columns function does not support this operation, however, I can introduce a tricks to quickly split text string by case in Excel.
In Excel, there is only macro code to quickly split string based on lowercase and uppercase.
1. Press Alt + F11 keys to open Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste below code to the blank Module script.
VBA: Split string by case.
Sub CamelCase() 'UpdatebyExtendoffice20160711 Dim xRg As Range Dim xTxt As String Dim xCell As Range Dim xCount As Long On Error Resume Next If ActiveWindow.RangeSelection.Count > 1 Then xTxt = ActiveWindow.RangeSelection.AddressLocal Else xTxt = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.AddressLocal End If LInput: Set xRg = Nothing Set xRg = Application.InputBox("Select a range:", "Kutools for Excel", xTxt, , , , , 8) If xRg Is Nothing Then Exit Sub If xRg.Areas.Count > 1 Then MsgBox "It not work in multiple selection", vbInformation, "Kutools for Excel" GoTo LInput End If If xRg.Columns.Count > 1 Then MsgBox "It only work in one column", vbInformation, "Kutools for Excel" GoTo LInput End If On Error Resume Next Application.ScreenUpdating = False With CreateObject("vbscript.regexp") .Pattern = "(\S)([A-Z]+[^A-Z])" .Global = True For Each xCell In xRg xCount = .Execute(xCell).Count If xCount Then xCell.Resize(, xCount + 1) = Split(.Replace(xCell, "$1" & Chr(1) & "$2"), Chr(1)) Next End With Application.ScreenUpdating = True End Sub
3. Press F5 key, and a dialog pops out to remind you to select texts to split. See screenshot:
4. Click OK, and the select texts have been split into two columns, and one contains lower case, and the other contains uppercase.
In many cases, you may want to split a cell into multiple rows or columns based on a specific character. In Excel, the built-in Text to Columns function only can help you convert a cell into columns directly, but not work in rows conversion. However, with Kutools for Excel – a handy and useful tool, you can apply its Split Cells utility to quickly split string into rows or column based on a separator or fixed width.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
1. Select the cell you want to split, and click Kutools > Merge & Split > Split Cells. See screenshot:
2. In the Split Cells dialog, check the split type you want in the Type section, and go to check the specific delimiter you want to split based on in the Split by section. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok, a dialog pops out to remind you to select a cell to place the split contents. See screenshot:
4. After selecting, click OK, and the selected cell has been split into rows based on space. See screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!