How to count the number of a word or character in an Excel column or cell?
In this article, I introduce some tricks on counting the number of a word or a character in a column or a single cell in Excel sheet.
In this section, I introduce a formula to count number of instance of a number or a word in a column.
Select a blank cell, and type this formula =COUNTIF(A1:A10,"Stars"), press Enter key, then it counts the number of instances of the word “Stars” in the column range. See screenshot:
In the formula, A1:A10 is the column range you want to count word or number from, and Stars is the word you want to count, you can change it to a number or a character or other words as you need.
If you want to count the number of a character or a word in a single cell, you can try below methods.
Count a specific character in a single cell with formula
Select a blank cell, type this formula =LEN(F1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(F1,G1,"")), press Enter key to get the result. See screenshot:
Tip: in this formula, F1 is the cell you want to count character from, and G1 is the character you want to count, you can change them as you need.
Count a specific word in a single cell with formula
Select an empty cell, type this formula =(LEN(A14)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A14,B14,"")))/LEN(B14), press Enter key to get the result. See screenshot:
Tip: in this formula, A14 is the cell you use, B14 is the word you want to count, you can change them as you need.
Count specific word in a cell with Kutools for Excel
If you do not want to remember formulas, you can apply Kutools for Excel’s Count the number of a word utility to quickly count a specific word in a range.
In some cases, you may want to count the number of all words in a range or a cell just like the Total count in Word document. Obviously, you can copy the contents of cells to a Word document to count the total number of words, but here I introduce a handy add in tool – Kutools for Excel to you, with its Count words in range utility to quickly count words in a range or cell.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:（Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
1. Select a blank cell where you will place the counted result, click Kutools > Formula Helper > Formula Helper. See screenshot:
2. In the Formulas Helper dialog, check Filter checkbox, then type "count" into the textbox to filter the formula relative counting, then click Count total words from the Choose a formula section, and then select the cells you want to count the words in the Range textbox.
3. Click Ok. And the total number of words in the selected range has been counted.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!