How to remove duplicates but keep rest of the row values in Excel?
In Excel, it will remove all duplicate values and move up when you apply the Remove Duplicates function as screenshot 1 shown. However, in some cases, you may want to remove duplicates but keep the rest of the row values as screenshot 2 shown. Now, in this case, I will introduce some tricks on deleting duplicates but keeping the rest in Excel.
With a formula and the Filter function, you can quickly remove duplicates but keep rest.
1. Select a blank cell next to the data range, D2 for instance, type formula =A3=A2, drag auto fill handle down to the cells you need. See screenshot:
2. Select all data range including the formula cell, and click Data > Filter to enable Filter function. See screenshot:
3. Click at the Filter icon in Column D (the formula column), and check TURE from the drop down list, see screenshot:
4. Click OK, and then all duplicates have been list, and select all of the duplicate values, press Delete key to remove them. See screenshot:
5. Click Data > Filter to disable Filter, and remove the formulas as you need. You can see all duplicates have been removed and the rest of values are kept in the row.
In Excel, there is a VBA code that also can remove duplicates but keep rest of row values.
1. Press Alt + F11 keys to display Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste below code to the Module.
VBA: Remove duplicates but keep rest of row values
Sub RemoveDuplicates() 'UpdatebyExtendoffice20160918 Dim xRow As Long Dim xCol As Long Dim xrg As Range Dim xl As Long On Error Resume Next Set xrg = Application.InputBox("Select a range:", "Kutools for Excel", _ ActiveWindow.RangeSelection.AddressLocal, , , , , 8) xRow = xrg.Rows.Count + xrg.Row - 1 xCol = xrg.Column 'MsgBox xRow & ":" & xCol Application.ScreenUpdating = False For xl = xRow To 2 Step -1 If Cells(xl, xCol) = Cells(xl - 1, xCol) Then Cells(xl, xCol) = "" End If Next xl Application.ScreenUpdating = True End Sub
3. Press F5 key to run the code, a dialog pops out to remind you to select a range to remove duplicate values from. See screenshot:
4. Click OK, now the duplicate values have been removed from selection and leave blank cells.
If you have Kutools for Excel – a handy and powerful add in tool installed, you can quickly remove duplicates but keep rest or row values through two wayss.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:(Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
Method 1 Merge Same Cells (2 steps)
1. Select the duplicate values, click Kutools > Merge & Split > Merge Same Cells. See screenshot:
2. Then the duplicate values have been merged into one cell. And click Home > Merge & Center > Unmerge Cells to split them. See screenshot:
Now the result has been shown as this:
Method 2 Select Duplicate & Unique Cells (4 steps)
1. Select the list of data you want to remove duplicates from, and click Kutools > Select > Select Duplicate & Unique Cells. See screenshot:
2. In the Select Duplicate & Unique Cells dialog, check Duplicates (Except 1st one) option in the Rule section. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok, a dialog pops out to remind you how many duplicates have been selected, click OK to close it. See screenshot:
4. Then press Delete key to remove the selected duplicate values.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!