How to force users to save as a macro enabled workbook?
When you save an Excel workbook, it will be saved as xlsx file format by default, and this file format will get rid of the macro codes from the workbook if there are multiple codes. To keep the codes, you should save the workbook as Excel Macro-Enable Workbook format. How could you force users to save as a macro enabled workbook?
To save the workbook as macro enabled workbook by default, the following VBA code may help you, please do as this:
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Then double click ThisWorkbook under the VBAProject section to open a new blank module, and then copy and paste the following code into the module:
VBA code: Force to save workbook as macro enabled workbook by default:
Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Boolean, Cancel As Boolean) 'Updateby Extendoffice Dim xFileName As String If SaveAsUI <> False Then Cancel = True xFileName = Application.GetSaveAsFilename(, "Excel Macro-Enabled Workbook (*.xlsm), *.xlsm", , "Save As xlsm file") If xFileName <> "False" Then Application.EnableEvents = False ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:=xFileName, FileFormat:=xlOpenXMLWorkbookMacroEnabled Application.EnableEvents = True Else MsgBox "Action Cancelled" Cancel = True Exit Sub End If End If End Sub
3. Then save and close this code window, from now on, when users save as this workbook, it will be saved as Excel Macro-Enabled Workbook format by default as following screenshot shown:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!