How to replace tilde and wildcard characters in Excel?
As you know, we can use wildcard characters (the question mark and asterisk) to represent any single/series of characters when replacing in Excel. However, how can you replace the wildcard characters literally from strings? This article will introduce an easy way to replace all tilde and wildcard characters in Excel.
To replace the tilde or wildcard characters in Excel, please do as follows:
1. Select the range where you will replace the tilde or wildcard characters, and press Ctrl + H keys to open the Find and Replace dialog box.
2. In the Find and Replace dialog box, under Replace tab, please type ~* in the Find what box, type the specified character you will replace within the Replace with box, and click the Replace All button. See screenshot:
Note: ~* will replace all asterisks in the selection. To replace all question marks, please type ~? In the Find what box; and to replace all tildes, please type ~~.
3. Click the OK button in the popping out Microsoft Excel dialog box. And then close the Find and Replace dialog box.
Now you will see the specified wildcard characters are replaced with a certain character in the selection.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!