How to replace tilde and wildcard characters in Excel?
As you know, we can use wildcard characters (the question mark and asterisk) to represent any single/series of characters when replacing in Excel. However, how can you replace the wildcard characters literally from strings? This article will introduce an easy way to replace all tilde and wildcard characters in Excel.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
To replace the tilde or wildcard characters in Excel, please do as follows:
1. Select the range where you will replace the tilde or wildcard characters, and press Ctrl + H keys to open the Find and Replace dialog box.
2. In the Find and Replace dialog box, under Replace tab, please type ~* in the Find what box, type the specified character you will replace within the Replace with box, and click the Replace All button. See screenshot:
Note: ~* will replace all asterisks in the selection. To replace all question marks, please type ~? In the Find what box; and to replace all tildes, please type ~~.
3. Click the OK button in the popping out Microsoft Excel dialog box. And then close the Find and Replace dialog box.
Now you will see the specified wildcard characters are replaced with a certain character in the selection.