How to sort numbers or texts and remove the duplicate records directly in Excel?
If there is a list of numbers or texts with some duplicates, the duplicate ones will be sorted together while using the Sort function in Excel. However, in some cases, you just want to sort the data and remove the duplicate records directly, how can you deal with this job?
To sort numbers and remove duplicates, you need some formulas to help you.
1. Firstly, you need to identify the duplicate rows by using this formula =COUNTIF(A2:A$11,"="&A1), A1 is the first number in the list, A11 is the cell below the last number of the list. Drag auto fill down to fill cells with this formula.
2. Then in adjacent column, type this formula =IF(B1=0,A1,"") B1 is the first formula cell, drag fill handle down to sort the numbers. Duplicates will be displayed as blank.
3. In next column, use =SMALL(C$1:C$10,ROW(C1)-ROW(C$1)+1) to sort numbers from smallest to largest and remove duplicate ones. C1:C10 is the third formula range.
1. If you want to sort numbers from largest to smallest, you can use this formula =LARGE(C$1:C$10,ROW(C1)-ROW(C$1)+1).
2. You can apply the Error Condition Wizard of Kutools for Excel, select Any error value from Error types drop down list to convert errors to blanks or message as you need.（Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
If you want to sort texts and remove the duplicate values, you also need some formulas.
1. Firstly, add a series of numbers adjacent to the text list.
2. In the column C, type this formula =IF(COUNTIF(B12:B$21,B12)=1,B12,"") (B12:B21 is the text range) to extract the unique texts.
3. In the column D, type this =COUNTIF(C$12:C$21,"<"&C12) to sort the unique texts. In this case, duplicates will be displayed as zeros.
4. In column E, type this formula =MATCH(A12,D$12:D$21,0), the zeros will be displayed as errors. A12 is the first number of the series number, D12:D21 is the third formula range.
5. In column F, type this formula =INDEX(B$12:B$21,E12), B12:B21 is the text range, E12 is the first cell of previous formula range. Now the duplicate ones shown as errors, and only unique texts are sorted.
Tip: You also can apply the Error Condition Wizard of Kutools for Excel to convert Only the #N/A error value to blanks.（Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Spreadsheets： Experience Efficiency Like Never Before with Kutools for Excel
Kutools for Excel boasts over 300 features, ensuring that what you need is just a click away...
Supports Office/Excel 2007-2021 & newer, including 365 | Available in 44 languages | Enjoy a full-featured 30-day free trial.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!