How to auto display a default value while deleting value in drop-down list in Excel?
In Excel, you can create a drop-down list for users to select value from the list by using Data Validation. But in some cases, you may want to display a default value such as -select- in the drop down list cell instead of blank while the selected item has been deleted as below screenshot shown. In this article, I introduce a method on solving this job in Excel.
1. Right click at the sheet tab which contain the drop-down list you use, then click View Code in the context menu.
2. In the popping Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, copy and paste below code to the blank script.
VBA: Display default value while deleting selected item in drop down list
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Dim xObjV As Validation On Error Resume Next Set xObjV = Target.Validation If xObjV.Type = xlValidateList Then If IsEmpty(Target.Value) Then Target.Value = "-Select-" End If End Sub
3. Then save this code. Now after deleting the selected items first time, the default value will be displayed until item is selected in the drop-down list.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Spreadsheets： Experience Efficiency Like Never Before with Kutools for Excel
Kutools for Excel boasts over 300 features, ensuring that what you need is just a click away...
Supports Office/Excel 2007-2021 & newer, including 365 | Available in 44 languages | Enjoy a full-featured 30-day free trial.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!