How to categorize bank transactions in Excel?
Let's say you receive bank transactions every month and want to group the transactions into different categories based on the description of each item, so that you can know a more specific breakdown of the cost each month.
As shown in the screenshot below, you want to convert the description in column B to a simpler and easier classification based on some keywords. For example, if the cell contains "Mc Donalds", categorize the expense as "Takeout", if the cell contains "Walmart", categorize the expense as "Family fee", etc., according to your own needs. This tutorial provides a formula to help you get it done.
The following formula can help to categorize bank transaction in Excel, please do as follows.
1. Firstly, you need to create two helper columns containing the keywords in the Description column and the corresponding categories respectively. In this case, the helper columns are in the range A29:B41. See screenshot:
2. Select a blank cell (the cell F3 in this case) next to the last column in the original table, enter the below formula into it and press the Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys to get the first result.
Select this result cell, drag its AutoFill Handle down to get the rest of the results.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!