How to export search results in Outlook to PST/Excel file?
For example, you need to find out emails from external senders in Outlook, and then export all found emails as an Excel file or PST file. Any good ideas? It’s easy to search external emails with Advanced Find feature in Outlook, but how to export? Try below workarounds:
Office Tab: Enable Tabbed Editing and Browsing in Office, Just Like Chrome, Firefox, IE 8/9/10.
Classic Menu: Bring Old Menus and Toolbars Back to Office 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 and 2019.
In fact, there is no direct way to export search results which you find out by Advanced Find feature or Instant Search feature in Outlook. However, we can filter emails with the same criteria as search criteria when exporting. Please do as follows:
1. Click File > Open & Export > Import/Export (or File > Open > Import) to open the Import and Export Wizard.
2. Now in the Import and Export Wizard, please click to highlight the Export to a file option and click the Next button.
3. In the Export to a File dialog box, please click to highlight the Outlook Data File (.pst) option, and click the Next button.
4. Now you get into the Export Outlook Data File dialog box, please click to select the folder you will search emails within, and click the Filter button. See screenshot below:
5. In the popping up Filter dialog box, please specify the filter criteria same as the search criteria, and then click the OK > Next buttons. See screenshot above:
Note: In my case, I specified the filter criteria on the Advanced tab with below steps: (1) Click Field > All Mail fields > From; (2) Choose doesn’t contain from the Condition drop down list; (3) Type the internal domain into the Value box; (4) Click the Add to List button.
6. In the new Export Outlook Data File dialog box, please click the Browse button to open the Open Outlook Data File dialog box, next specify the destination folder you will place the exported PST file into, name the PST file in the File name box, and then click OK > Finish. See screenshot below:
7. The Create Outlook Data File dialog box comes out, and please click the OK button to close it.
Note: If you want to add password to the exported PST file, please type the password into both Password box and Verify Password box, and click the OK button.
Up to now we have exported all emails meeting the search criteria as a PST file in Outlook.
If you need to export all search results in Outlook to a separate Excel workbook, please follow below steps:
Note: If you can search emails with the Instant Search feature, please type the search criteria in the Instant Search box, and then copy all search results to workbook with Step 5-7.
1. Shift to the Mail view, click to open the mail folder where you want to search emails, and click Folder > New Search Folder.
2. In the New Search Folder dialog box, please click to highlight the Create a custom Search Folder option, and click the Choose button. See screenshot:
3. In the popping up Custom Search Folder dialog box, please name the new search folder in the Name box, and click the Criteria button. See screenshot:
4. Now in the Search Folder Criteria dialog box, please specify the criteria same as the search criteria and click OK > OK > OK to close all dialog boxes.
Note: In my case, I specified the criteria on the Advanced tab with following steps: (1) Click Field > All Mail fields > From; (2) Choose doesn’t contain from the Condition drop down list; (3) Type the internal domain into the Value box; (4) Click the Add to List button.
5. Go ahead to open the new search folder, select and copy all emails in the search folder. See screenshot:
Notes: (1) For selecting all emails in one mail folder, please click any one email in the folder, and then press Ctrl + A keys simultaneously; (2) Press Ctrl + C keys at the same time to copy selected emails.
6. Create a new workbook, select the Cell Al and press Ctrl + V keys simultaneously to paste the search results into the new workbook.
7. Save the new workbook.
So far, we have exported all searching results to an Excel file already.
Recommended Productivity Tools
- Complicated and repeated operations can be done a one-time processing in seconds.
- Forward multiple emails individually with one-click, and auto forward by rules.
- Auto CC/BCC every sending email and easy for customizing rules, and auto reply without requiring exchange server.
- Powerful junk emails filter, remove duplicate emails, reply with attachment, bunch of one-click operations, and so on...
- 60-day unlimited free trial. 60-day money back guarantee. 2 years free upgrade and support. Buy once, use forever.