How to delete blocked attachments from emails in Outlook?
Let’s say you received an email with an EXE attachment in Outlook, the EXE attachment is blocked to access as below screenshot shown. You are not allow to select, preview, and download this blocked attachment. In this situation, is there any way to remove it? Try below solutions:
- Automate emailing with Auto CC/BCC, Auto Forward by rules; send Auto Reply (Out of Office) without requiring an exchange server...
- Get reminders like BCC Warning when replying to all while you're in the BCC list, and Remind When Missing Attachments for forgotten attachments...
- Improve email efficiency with Reply (All) With Attachments, Auto Add Greeting or Date & Time into Signature or Subject, Reply Multiple Emails...
- Streamline emailing with Recall Emails, Attachment Tools (Compress All, Auto Save All...), Remove Duplicates, and Quick Report...
This method will guide you to create or modify the Level1Remove string value in the Registry Editor to disable blocking specified types of attachments in your Outlook, so that you can select and delete the blocked attachments manually.
1. Press Win + R keys to open the Run dialog box, and then in the dialog box type Regedit into the Open box and click the OK button. See screenshot:
2. In the popping out User Account Control dialog box, please click the Yes button to go ahead.
3. Now the Registry Editor is opening. Please open the Security key with following path:
Note: This path is for Outlook 2016. If you are using Outlook 2013, please change the 16.0 to 15.0, or change to 14.0 for Outlook 2010.
4. Right click the Security key, and select New > String Value from the context menu, and then name the new string value as Level1Remove.
5. Double click to open the new Level1Remove string value, type the extension names of blocked attachments into the Value data box, and click the OK button. See screenshot:
Note: If you need to type several extension names into the Value data box, please separate them with semicolon ;, such as exe;msi.
6. Restart your Microsoft Outlook.
So far the specified types of blocked attachments have been unblocked in your Microsoft Outlook.
7. Click to preview the email containing the blocked attachment in the Reading Pane, right click the attachment, and select Remove Attachment from the context menu. See screenshot:
And now the specified blocked attachment is removed from the email at once.
If you have Kutools for Outlook installed, you can apply its Safe Attachment Extensions option to unblock specified types of blocked attachments quickly, and then delete them easily.
1. Click Kutools > Options to open the Options dialog box. See screenshot below:
2. In the Options dialog box, go to the Others tab, type the extension names of blocked attachments into the Safe Attachment Extensions box, and click the OK button. See screenshot above:
Note: For unblocking several types of attachments, please separate these extension names with semicolon, such as exe;msi.
3. Now the Kutools for Outlook dialog box pops out and reminds you to restart Microsoft Outlook. Please click the OK button to close it, and then restart your Microsoft Outlook.
So far all blocked attachments with the specified extension names have been unlocked in your Microsoft Outlook.
3. Click to preview the email containing the blocked attachment in the Reading Pane, right click the attachment, and select Remove Attachment from the context menu. See screenshot below:
So far, the specified blocked attachment has been removed from your email already.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Outlook - Over 100 Powerful Features to Supercharge Your Outlook
📧 Email Automation: Out of Office (Available for POP and IMAP) / Schedule Send Emails / Auto CC/BCC by Rules When Sending Email / Auto Forward (Advanced Rules) / Auto Add Greeting / Automatically Split Multi-Recipient Emails into Individual Messages ...
Over 100 Features Await Your Exploration! Click Here to Discover More.