How to delete blocked attachments from emails in Outlook?
Let’s say you received an email with an EXE attachment in Outlook, the EXE attachment is blocked to access as below screenshot shown. You are not allow to select, preview, and download this blocked attachment. In this situation, is there any way to remove it? Try below solutions:
Office Tab: Enable Tabbed Editing and Browsing in Office, Just Like Chrome, Firefox, IE 8/9/10.
Classic Menu: Bring Old Menus and Toolbars Back to Office 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 and 2019.
This method will guide you to create or modify the Level1Remove string value in the Registry Editor to disable blocking specified types of attachments in your Outlook, so that you can select and delete the blocked attachments manually.
1. Press Win + R keys to open the Run dialog box, and then in the dialog box type Regedit into the Open box and click the OK button. See screenshot:
2. In the popping out User Account Control dialog box, please click the Yes button to go ahead.
3. Now the Registry Editor is opening. Please open the Security key with following path:
Note: This path is for Outlook 2016. If you are using Outlook 2013, please change the 16.0 to 15.0, or change to 14.0 for Outlook 2010.
4. Right click the Security key, and select New > String Value from the context menu, and then name the new string value as Level1Remove.
5. Double click to open the new Level1Remove string value, type the extension names of blocked attachments into the Value data box, and click the OK button. See screenshot:
Note: If you need to type several extension names into the Value data box, please separate them with semicolon ;, such as exe;msi.
6. Restart your Microsoft Outlook.
So far the specified types of blocked attachments have been unblocked in your Microsoft Outlook.
7. Click to preview the email containing the blocked attachment in the Reading Pane, right click the attachment, and select Remove Attachment from the context menu. See screenshot:
And now the specified blocked attachment is removed from the email at once.
If you have Kutools for Outlook installed, you can apply its Safe Attachment Extensions option to unblock specified types of blocked attachments quickly, and then delete them easily.
Kutools for Outlook - With more than 20 handy Outlook add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days
1. Click Kutools > Options to open the Options dialog box. See screenshot below:
2. In the Options dialog box, go to the Others tab, type the extension names of blocked attachments into the Safe Attachment Extensions box, and click the OK button. See screenshot above:
Note: For unblocking several types of attachments, please separate these extension names with semicolon, such as exe;msi.
3. Now the Kutools for Outlook dialog box pops out and reminds you to restart Microsoft Outlook. Please click the OK button to close it, and then restart your Microsoft Outlook.
So far all blocked attachments with the specified extension names have been unlocked in your Microsoft Outlook.
3. Click to preview the email containing the blocked attachment in the Reading Pane, right click the attachment, and select Remove Attachment from the context menu. See screenshot below:
So far, the specified blocked attachment has been removed from your email already.Click to download Kutools for Outlook, 60-day free tiral no limitation!
Recommended Productivity Tools
- Complicated and repeated operations can be done a one-time processing in seconds.
- Forward multiple emails individually with one-click, and auto forward by rules.
- Auto CC/BCC every sending email and easy for customizing rules, and auto reply without requiring exchange server.
- Powerful junk emails filter, remove duplicate emails, reply with attachment, bunch of one-click operations, and so on...
- 60-day unlimited free trial. 60-day money back guarantee. 2 years free upgrade and support. Buy once, use forever.