How to automatically download/save attachments from Outlook to a certain folder?
Generally speaking, you can save all attachments of one email with clicking Attachments > Save All Attachments in Outlook. But, if you need to save all attachments from all received emails and receiving emails, any ideas? This article will introduce two solutions to automatically download attachments from Outlook to a certain folder.
- Automatically download Outlook attachments to folder with VBA and rule
- Automatically download Outlook attachments to folder with Kutools for Outlook
This method will introduce a VBA script, and run this scrip with a rule to automatically download and save Outlook attachments to a certain folder. Please do as follows:
1. Press Alt + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and then paste below VBA script into the new opening Module window.
VBA: Auto Save Outlook Attachments into a certain folder
Public Sub SaveAttachmentsToDisk(MItem As Outlook.MailItem) Dim oAttachment As Outlook.Attachment Dim sSaveFolder As String sSaveFolder = "C:\Users\DT168\Documents\outlook-attachments\" For Each oAttachment In MItem.Attachments oAttachment.SaveAsFile sSaveFolder & oAttachment.DisplayName Next End Sub
Note: Please find out sSaveFolder = "C:\Users\DT168\Documents\outlook-attachments\", and replace the destination folder’s path as you need.
3. Save the VBA Script and close the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
4. Go to the Mail view, and click Home > Rules > Manage Rules & Alerts. See screenshot:
5. In the opening Rules and Alerts dialog box, please click the New Rule button on the E-mail Rules tab. See screenshot:
6. Now in the Rules Wizard dialog box, please click to select the Apply rule on messages I receive option, and click the Next button.
7. In the Rules Wizard (which condition(s) do you want to check?) dialog box, please uncheck any option, and click the Next button. And then click the Yes button in the popping up Microsoft Outlook dialog box. See screenshot:
8. Now in the Rules Wizard (what do you want to do with the message?) dialog box, please: (1) Check the run a script option; (2) Click the text of a script to open the Select Script dialog box, select the script we added in Step 2 and click the OK button; (3) Click the Next button.
9. In the Rules Wizard (Are there any exceptions?) dialog box, please click the Next button directly.
10. Now in the last Rules Wizard dialog box, please name the rule in the Step 1 box, check options as you need in the Step 2 section, and click the Finish button.
11. Close the Rules and Alerts dialog box.
And now all attachments are downloaded from your email account and saved into the specified destination folder. And all attachments of incoming emails will be automatically downloaded and saved into the specified folder too.
If you have Kutools for Outlook installed, you can apply its Auto Detach option to automatically download all Outlook attachments and save to a certain folder easily.
1. Click Kutools > Auto Detach > Enable to enable the Auto Detach feature.
2. Go ahead to click Kutools > Auto Detach > Auto Detach Manager.
3. In the Auto Detach Attachments dialog, check the Auto detach all received attachments option, and then configure as follows:
(1) Click the browse button to specify the destination folder to save automatically detached attachments;
(2) It’s optional to check the Create subfolders in the following style option, and then select one subfolder style from below drop-down list;
(3) It’s optional to check the Only detach attachments with following extension option, and then type attachment file extensions into below box;
(4) It’s optional to check the Attachment icon is still remained in the emails options.
Note: If you need to automatically detach attachments by senders, you can check the Auto detach attachments by rules option, click the New button, and then type the sender’s email address and specify destination folder in the second Auto Detach Attachments dialog.
4. Click the Ok button to save the settings.
From now on, all attachments (or attachments with specified file extensions, or attachments from specified senders based on your settings) will be automatically saved.
Note: You can apply Kutools for Outlook’s Detach All (Attachments) feature or Save All (Attachments) feature to quickly download/save all attachments from multiple/all received emails in Outlook.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Outlook - Over 100 Powerful Features to Supercharge Your Outlook
📧 Email Automation: Out of Office (Available for POP and IMAP) / Schedule Send Emails / Auto CC/BCC by Rules When Sending Email / Auto Forward (Advanced Rules) / Auto Add Greeting / Automatically Split Multi-Recipient Emails into Individual Messages ...
Over 100 Features Await Your Exploration! Click Here to Discover More.