How to reduce mailbox size in Outlook?
Lots of email messages will slow down the Outlook’s performance. In this tutorial, it will introduce several methods for reducing mailbox size to enhance the Outlook’s productivity,
Note: before trying the solutions provided, please make sure that you have taken a full backup of the Outlook PST files.
All methods provided in this tutorial are operated in Outlook 2021, there may be some differences in different Outlook versions.
There are two methods can help you quickly find the large emails and attachments.
In outlook, generally, you sort emails by received date, actually, you also can sort emails by their sizes.
2. Then go to the By Date drop-down list, choose Size.
Now all emails in the folder are sorted by size, and Outlook auto groups emails by size to 4 groups.
Then you can remove the large emails.
1. In an account folder list, scroll to Search Folder, and right click it to click New Search Folder.
2. Then in the New Search Folder dialog, scroll to Organizing Mail section and click Large mail, then click Choose to pop the Mail Size dialog, and specify the small size at least that you want to find mails based on. Click OK > OK to close the dialogs.
Now you can see a new folder is created, and all mails whose sizes are greater than 50 kb are listed in this new folder, you can browse them and remove the mails that you do not need any more.
The Mailbox Cleanup tool is very useful for reducing mailbox size. With it, you can empty the Deleted Items folder to release space, and also can click Auto Archive to move older mails to the archive file.
Click File tab, then click Tools > Mailbox Cleanup..
Click View Deleted Items Size to see the size of the Deleted Items folder, then go back to click Empty to permanently remove the items in the Deleted Items folder.
Click Auto Archive button to move old items to the archive files on the current computer.
In Outlook, you can manually compress the Outlook data (PST) file.
1. Click File tab, then click Account Settings > Account Settings.
2. In the Account Settings dialog, click Data File tab, then choose one account that you want to compress its data file, click Settings.
3. In the Outlook Data File dialog, click Compact Now. Click OK.
1. Click File > Options, and in the Options window, click Advanced tab in the left pane, then click AutoArchive Settings.
2. In the AutoArchive dialog, check Run AutoArchive every n days, and then specify this option and other options as you need such as Clean out items than. Then click OK > OK.
Using the Clean Up feature group to remove the redundant messages in selected conversations, folders or subfolders
Select the folders or the conversations, and click Home tab, and in the Delete group, choose one feature from the drop-down list of Clean Up.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Outlook - Over 100 Powerful Features to Supercharge Your Outlook
📧 Email Automation: Out of Office (Available for POP and IMAP) / Schedule Send Emails / Auto CC/BCC by Rules When Sending Email / Auto Forward (Advanced Rules) / Auto Add Greeting / Automatically Split Multi-Recipient Emails into Individual Messages ...
Over 100 Features Await Your Exploration! Click Here to Discover More.