How to automatically add captions to images in Word document?
Supposing you have created a Word document mixed with texts and pictures, in order to easily navigate among these images, adding captions to all of them will be a good choice. The most common method, you have to select the image and then insert a bookmark with the Bookmark function in Word. But it will be time-consuming if lots of images need to be handled. Here we provide two methods for you to automatically add captions to all images at once in a Word document.
The below VBA code can help to add captions to all images at once in a Word document. Please do as follows.
1. Open the Word document contains the images you will add captions to, press the Alt + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, click Insert > Module. Then copy below VBA code into the Module window.
VBA code: Automatically add captions to images at once
Sub CaptionPictures() 'Updated by Extendoffice 20181123 Dim xPic As InlineShape For Each xPic In ActiveDocument.InlineShapes xPic.Select Selection.InsertCaption "Figure", "", "", wdCaptionPositionBelow, 0 Next End Sub
3. Press the F5 key to run the code.
Now captions are added to all images in current document at once as below screenshot shown.
This section introduces the Multiple Captions utility of Kutools for Word. With this Multiple Captions utility, you can not only add captions to all images at once in Word, but also can add captions to all tables or equations as you need.
1. In the document you will add captions to all images, click Kutools Plus > Multiple Captions. See screenshot:
2. In the Batch Insert Captions dialog box, only check the Figure box and click OK.
Then captions will be added to all images at once in current document.
Note: With this utility, you can also add captions to tables, equations as well as images at the same time.
If you want to have a free trial of this utility, please go to free download the software first, and then go to apply the operation according above steps.
Recommended Productivity Tools
- Complicated and repeated operations can be done a one-time processing in seconds.
- Insert multiple images across folders into Word document at once.
- Merge and combine multiple Word files across folders in to one with your desired order.
- Split the current document into separate documents according to heading 1, section break or other criteria.
- Convert files between Doc and Docx, Docx and PDF, collection of tools for common conversions and selection, and so on...