Excel CODE function
The Microsoft Excel CODE function returns a numeric code of a character or the first character in a given text string cell.
Text (Required): The text for which you want to get the numeric code of the first character.
Return a numeric code for a character.
1. The #VALUE! Error occurs when the text argument is empty.
2. The returned code corresponds to the character set used by your computer.
The below example shows you how to use the CODE function in Excel.
1. Select a blank cell to output the code, copy the below formula into it and press the Enter key.
2. Drag the Fill Handle down to get all codes of specific characters.
1. You can directly enclose the text in the formula with double quotation marks.
2. The UPPER function and the LOWER function can help case-sensitive returning a numeric code for a character.
Excel Productivity Tools
Would you like to complete your daily work quickly and perfectly? Kutools for Excel brings
300 powerful advanced features (Combine workbooks, sum by color, split cell contents, convert date, and so on...) and save
- Designed for
1500 work scenarios, helps you solve
80% Excel problems.
- Reduce thousands of keyboard and mouse clicks every day, relieve your tired eyes and hands.
- Become an Excel expert in 3 minutes. No longer need to remember any painful formulas and VBA codes.
- 60-day unlimited free trial. 60-day money back guarantee. Free upgrade and support for 2 years.
- Office Tab Increases your productivity by
50% when viewing and editing multiple documents.
- Reduce hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day, say goodbye to mouse hand.
- One second to switch between dozens of open documents!