Excel EDATE function
To add or subtract a number of months from given date in Excel, the EDATE function can help you quickly to solve this job. With the EDATE function, you can return serial number of the date that is some months before or after the start date. And then, format the serial numbers to normal date format.
The syntax for the EDATE function in Excel is:
=EDATE (Start_date, Months)
- Start_date: A valid date in Excel that indicates the start date.
- Months: The number of months before or after start date, it can be positive or negative value. A positive value for months to get a date in the future, and a negative value for date in the past.
Return serial number which is n months in future or past.
To calculate the future or past date by adding or subtract the number of months from the given dates, please enter the below formula, and you will get a serial numbers, see screenshot:
And then, go to the Format Cells dialog box to format the serial numbers as a normal date format as you need, see screenshot:
Note: In the above formula, A2 is the start date you want to add or subtract months, B2 is the cell contains the month number you want to add or subtract.
Tips: You can also replace the cell references in the above formulas with the date text string and month number, such as:
Excel Productivity Tools
Would you like to complete your daily work quickly and perfectly? Kutools for Excel brings
300 powerful advanced features (Combine workbooks, sum by color, split cell contents, convert date, and so on...) and save
- Designed for
1500 work scenarios, helps you solve
80% Excel problems.
- Reduce thousands of keyboard and mouse clicks every day, relieve your tired eyes and hands.
- Become an Excel expert in 3 minutes. No longer need to remember any painful formulas and VBA codes.
- 60-day unlimited free trial. 60-day money back guarantee. Free upgrade and support for 2 years.
- Office Tab Increases your productivity by
50% when viewing and editing multiple documents.
- Reduce hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day, say goodbye to mouse hand.
- One second to switch between dozens of open documents!